exhaust pipe frustration -Bender needed in Colchester

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:44 pm

..and I thought it was just me. Goes to show. There is an art to getting the angles all 'right', and its difficult lying on your back under the car! took it to my local 'proper' exhaust fitters and three of 'em were trying to get all the angles lined up. Didn't manage it in the end, so my tailpipe is a bit droopy
:( .. oo, er.

Doesn't help that the manifold is a bit short by about an inch or so (rust)..

I was considering one of the in line silencers from these people to extend the centre pipe..

http://www.jetex.co.uk/custom-exhaust-parts/U404500/

..to give a bit of flexibility and quietness. Rorty exhausts are all very well, until you've had to listen to it for a few hours.

Jeremy
Last edited by JJDraper on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Washer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Maybe the problem lies in the silencer tail pipe angle? To rotate the silencer to line up with the bottom of the boot would seem to require a lot of strain on the supporting straps if the intermediate pipe had a greater angle. The support straps work better if they are vertical.

I had the same problem a few years ago when fitting a stainless replacement silencer, can't remember who supplied it. Ended up cutting the tail pipe off and welding a new pipe at the required angle, looked much better having a diameter about the size of the intermediate pipe than the wee little thing it came with...

Mike
Washer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:20 pm

Jeremy, I have a Jetex decibel reducer in the tail pipe of my MGB V8 and it does make a difference. It seems to cut out the harsher frequencies, so the car is still quite loud and sporty but the sound isn't so intrusive.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:34 am

Nice idea Mike , but No . IMO always best to correct the thing that's wrong rather than bodge what's right to accommodate it . Once you start changing things the 'law of unintended consequences' kicks in ......... 8)
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:35 am

... that's Washer Mike, I mean ....
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Washer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Rich,

I did not propose that you should 'fit' your new silencer in the way I had to. The silencer was brought approximately 3 years before it was eventually fitted, slow resto, a bit late for me to go back to the supplier regarding its build, like you have :? .

The post was intended to raise the possibility that the angle of the tail pipe in relation to the silencer is the incorrect angle rather than the intermediate pipe. I have saved my previous mild steel intermediate pipe and that has the same angles as the SS currently fitted.

There are three essential dimensions to mount the silencer; the entry of the intermediate pipe, the position of the strap hanger bracket and the position and and angle of the tail pipe. The hanger straps are expected to be a vertical as possible. The intermediate pipe and the hanger brackets were well positioned on my silencer but the tail pipe had the same droop as others have highlighted. 'Fitting' the tail pipe at a steeper angle by cutting and welding a larger bore SS pipe was a straight forward engineering task for me. Looking at the silencer pictured it does not look possible to align both the hanger brackets and the tail pipe.

Mike
Washer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:32 pm

took a ride out to ISC at Elmsett airfield in deepest suffolk and they added an extra 10 degrees or so to the back bend in the middle pipe in a few moments ..... and now it fits!
img_1030.jpg and
img_1031.jpg and
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Washer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm

Good news, that does looks an excellent fit with the extra bend. :D

Your pictures do make an interesting comparison to the ones Elseezed posted, particularly the relative positions of the hanger brackets and the tail pipe.

Mike
Washer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:08 pm

hanger position varies but that shouldn't matter much with the flex straps . my stainless box is the same as the mild steel one shown.
Both are old stock
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 am

Finally got round to replacing the steel exhaust link pipe with the infamous stainless one. Took it to TG Silencers in Rochdale and with a bit of "cutting and shutting " and 1 hours labour job done.
From the photo you'll see I have lengthened the tail pipe on the silencer, it was too short so the gases were ending under the rear bumper.
Anyway another job ticked off.
imag0467.jpg and
Link pipe being fitted
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Too bad you don?t live closer Rich, I have a hydraulic pipe bender in my garage you would be welcome to use.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Same problem, I used the original mild steel centre pipe for years, but on this rebuild I took it to our local performance exhaust centre. Only problem was they couldn?t bend pipe that small in diameter! Smallest boy racer pipes are 2? diameter it seems. They did suggest I cut it and adjust it which I did and they then welded it for me for a nominal fee, it fits fine now. Hard to see the weld. So that?s another vote for the centre pipes being wrong for the early transverse silencer systems.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: