K&N filters v trunking and remote filter

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:14 pm

jono wrote:..it's possibly the case, for me at least, that the power loss due to the trunking and filter in nose arrangement was greater than the loss with the filter fixed directly the air box with the attendant sucking in of warmer air.

It certainly goes a lot better though so that will do for me :D

Jon

Or that the throttle-response was improved enough to feel better overall? Reminds me of the thing about aircraft landing gear, about how the aerodynamic advantage of retractable gear more than makes up for the extra weight of it.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AdrianSi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:10 pm

Has anybody tried fitting filter socks in conjunction with the airbox and length of ducting to the front nose cone? Retaining the originality look in the engine bay.

Biggest issue with the filter socks is that number 3 and 4 would be very close if not touching the standard airbox (+2).

I've had the airbox to get down to the oil pressure sender and it currently sits with out the airbox on. The sound of those DCOE's is something that I need in my life. I've not driven the car yet but with out load on the engine the engine just feels like it is so much more eager!

Thoughts?
1970 Elan +2
Factory Federal RHD
B42 Midnight Blue (Esprit S4)
AdrianSi
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:27 am

I've used ITG dual foam elements on the carbs after lots of dyno work recently, showed least drop in back to back dyno runs when fitted but we found that having air ducted from nose i.e. cold air to the carbs makes a significant difference as soon as the ambient air temperature increase. We also found making a shield to divert exhausted radiator air from the carburettor bodies made a difference and used thermal barrier on the fuel lines.

Was the inside of your trucking the plastic type with wire which leave a convoluted inner surface? The regional trunking is smooth inside which aids airflow I suspect.

Hot air, hot carb bodies and fuel lines made a significant difference, we noted over 25HP loss.

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: