Fitting exhaust manifold

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 pm

I have the engine mounted in my S4 rolling chassis. What is the easiest way to install the exhaust manifold? Do I need to remove the engine mount on that side totally and support the engine on a jack or do I unbolt the mount from the chassis?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:45 pm

William

I suppose it depends on which manifold you are fitting. If its the four branch type I have fitted and removed these with the body in place so on a rolling chassis it should be a doddle.

I generally remove the studs from the head and then the two parts of the manifold can be wriggled into place. Once you have supported the engine you may as well remove the whole mount and its spacers, you might be able to leave the studs in place then.

iAN
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:51 pm

With the body on it makes the job easier if you drill the holes oversize- they never line up. Also, as Ian says, remove the studs, after checking that they all run into and out of the head easily.

On a rolling chassis.. it should just all fall into place.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 pm

When I had my rolling chassis and before I fitted the body, I cut out a section of the chassis around the downpipes as per Gordon Lund's book. I recently had to remove the manifolds and I could do this by only removing the engine mount and without removing the studs. A frustrating job made a lot easier.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:09 pm

I recently had the crossbrace on the chassis cut off and a removable one installed in order to allow a big bore manifold to be fitted. Didn't need to do that with the original manifold, but it was never a happy exercise.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: