How to prime the oil pump

PostPost by: fireblade » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:23 pm

I am in the process of replacing the oil pump on my S4 SE and I would like to know the best way to prime the pump before running the engine.

Roger
fireblade
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Fill the canister/filter with oil. Remove the side plate, and pack the gears with Vaseline or similar. This has always worked well for me.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:46 pm

A new oil pump needs some oily film between its moving surfaces for it to draw oil up from the sump. You could just fill the pump with oil on the bench, drain out and fit it, and it will probably work. One sure fire way is to pack the pump with petroleum jelly (Vaseline). The jelly is quickly assimilated into the engine oil without harm once the engine is running.

I would strongly recommend that whatever you do, take out the spark plugs and wind the engine on the starter until you see oil pressure on the gauge. If you don't get pressure (and it can take several long seconds to build at starter motor speeds) you can remove the pump, repack and try again, and no harm is done. That way you know it is going to work when you start it properly, and you won't risk running the bearings dry.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:11 pm

You can also pump oil in the high pressure side from the oil pressure gauge take off. I use a pressurized weed sprayer bottle to force the oil in. Ensures there is oil at the bearings when turning the engine over.

I'd probably only try this I if you don't see pressure with Vaseline method quickly.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:44 pm

Yes, Vaseline does the trick. Just did this last week on an Elan I am rebuilding. Been doing that trick for years and it always has worked.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:07 pm

I've only changed the oil pump once and simply made sure it had an oil film in it but I've stripped and rebuilt two TC engines many times. Fill the filter with oil and spin the engine without plugs, like Mike (Troon) describes, is all I've ever done and it always works.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: karenhenry04 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:19 am

Hello,

I was also searching this same question from few days but didn't found exact answer.

Thanks for posting this thread.

Waiting For reply :)
karenhenry04
New-tral

PostPost by: persiflage » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:12 pm

The engine on the Elan has not been started for a lengthy period, this morning I spun it on the starter ... Not a flicker on the gauge :(
The bathroom cabinet was raided, pump end plate removed and the advice found here was followed. Result, healthy pressure indicated on the second spin.
Thank you gentlemen.
I might even go for a start in a couple of days!
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: