Mild steel exhausts, who wants one?

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:03 pm

This posting would imply they are to sell new Lotus cars again.
http://norlog.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8480
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Thats sad to hear, I remember chatting to Neil Shepherdson back in the 80's and seemed a nice guy.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:01 am

There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:18 am

i managed to acquire a new old stock mild steel transverse exhaust for my +2 which is off the road at the moment .
a rear end shunt had written off the stainless steel box which was on the motor. I understand the mild steel will give a better sound LOL!
I remember in my teens being told to drill a small hole at the lowest point of a silencer in order to help get rid of nasty corrosive condensate and prolong the life . Is this good practice?
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks for the link, but it's the intermediate pipe and box I'm looking for in MS.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm

"I remember in my teens being told to drill a small hole at the lowest point of a silencer in order to help get rid of nasty corrosive condensate and prolong the life . Is this good practice?"

Yes,until the MOT man sees it...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:18 pm

mark030358 wrote:. I bought my Exile V6

Hey Mark,
What is a "Exile V6" ? ...............is that like a "tax exile" ........ or a Lotus Project we dont know about :lol: :lol:....oh oh...thread drift :)
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mariodschy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:47 pm

I've a new mainfold made of mild steel if someone wants it please pm me.
- 1972 Lotus Elan Sprint LHD/DHC
- 1962 Austin Healey Sprite MK II - Sold 09.05.2016

Sorry for my bad survival English ;-)
mariodschy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:49 pm

+2 for mild steel rear boxes, but getting rare,,

lotuselan-plus2-f51/scrabblings-and-scribblings-about-under-the-car-t24634.html?hilit=transverse%20exhaust

With a life of three years active service, would you want one? Maybe a modern coated one would last longer. Still someone has to make a market them against SS ones that last forever (apart from the loss of stuffing & going rusty - they do eventually). I have heard of people unstitching them to put more stuffing in; sounds like a heap of work. Would you also want the chrome tailpipe - did look good..

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:55 pm

I have a stainless steel rear box on my +2 with a 2 inch tail pipe (I think from CN).

The noise level was quite high at 4000rpm, so I made up a 6 inch length of 1 and a half inch pipe mounted in the tail pipe on spacers. I pinched the rear end of the smaller tube shut in a vice (that's the end the faces towards the main tail pipe outlet), and also drilled enough 5mm holes all over the smaller tube to equal the area of the main outlet.

This gave me a crude baffle, which makes the car significantly quieter. It does not seem to affect the power.

You need to drill a couple of 4mm holes on the bottom of the tail pipe to mount the "baffle". I used two 4mm bolts held in place by nuts acting as spacers. The bolts were short enough to feed the baffle into the tailpipe, but long enough to take two external nuts to secure. Its easy to remove if required.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Current quantities are 5 requests for Early Transverse type, 1 for S4.

SJ Sports Cars do sell a mild steel transverse box but for ?406, three times the Stainless price!

Edit: My apologies, this is incorrect! It is in fact a complete Stainless system including SE manifold through to tail pipe. The catalogue simply didn't indicate it was SS like all the other bits did.
Last edited by Quart Meg Miles on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi Meg,

PM sent. Thanks.

Peter
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:41 pm

Current quantities are now 5 requests for the Early Transverse type and two - three for the S4.

Note that I'm assuming all requests are for the silencer and an intermediate pipe.

Edit: I'm advising overseas customers that it is probably simpler for them to get the intermediate pipe made locally, especially if I have the original transverse silencer box made with both inlet and exit pipes in line with the cars centre.

Please also note edit to my earlier posting, apologising for lambasting SJ Sports Cars following my own discoveries.
Meg

Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:04 pm

As a matter of some future interest, did anything ever come of this, Meg?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:04 pm

Apologies for not concluding the matter; I had to abandon the idea.

There was not enough interest to pursue it as I needed ten orders of a type to progress and Miles Wilkins was having trouble getting even stainless ones made. An independent sheet metal artist I had in mind retired too.

Personally I was lucky enough to be offered a NOS pipe and box by a forum member. My present MS kit, fitted in 2008, needed patching up after just 20k miles and has now survived 44k but will not last much longer. The box seemed to rust through its bottom from the inside, even though I don't do short trips, so perhaps it needs an insulation layer to stop water vapour condensing there in the winter.

I hope you can find someone to supply you, Tim, as SS versions are unbearably rorty, even just the pipe. I tried SS units on two hot hatches too and they were just as bad and I traded them both back for MS.
Meg

Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: