New radiator for S-4 1969 Elan

PostPost by: Wayne » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:06 am

Hello everyone,

My friends Elan gets really toasty when stuck in traffic. 210F+ Normal driving back roads its fine. We are in Connecticut so we are looking for a source for a new radiator in the New england area. I don't want to bother trying to recore, fix a radiator from 1969. Does anyone have a source for a replacement steel or aluminum radiator that will not break the bank? I have not talked to RD Lotus yet.

Thanks
Wayne
Wayne
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 am

Can't you buy a wide Triumph Rad from Moss and just turn the top inlet to suit.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 pm

alan.barker wrote:Can't you buy a wide Triumph Rad from Moss and just turn the top inlet to suit.
Alan

15% discount now on at Moss!
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi Wayne,

There are many ways our forum members have solved this problem. While my solution has worked perfectly, I acknowledge it is a bit pricey and there are other approaches that may be as good or better.

I'm in Columbia SC, so needed a cooling solution that would keep my moderately "built" engine cool in 90 + degree stop-and-go traffic.

I purchased a Coolex Heat Transfer full-width aluminum radiator:

http://www.coolexperts.co.uk/motor-vehi ... -radiator/

It was about $420, including shipping, 2 years ago. Coolex was great to deal with and, at the time, was happy to extend a discount to Forum members, so be sure to ask.

Added to that, I purchased the following from Clive Baker (Cliveyboy):

Thermostat Housing
Variable Temp. Fan Controller
Dual 9? Revotec Fan Kit
Full Hose Set
Radiator Cap (10 psi)
Heavy Duty Thermostat Gasket
Adjustable Radiator Brackets
77C thermostat

All of this from Clive was about $800, including shipping, again, two years ago.

But it appears Clive may have left the business.

business-listings-f3/cliveyboy-still-business-t41279.html

If so, that is very sad, because Clive knew a lot about the Elan, was great to work with, and had really good products.

My system has proven bulletproof, never going over 180 degrees, even in the hottest South Carolina stop-and-go driving conditions.

You could probably accomplish about the same thing for less money by purchasing a modern wide Triumph radiator and having a local radiator shop alter it to fit the Elan hose configuration. IMHO, the puller fans are pretty important. I think you can get them as part of a bespoke kit directly from Revotec. I couldn't find one on the Revotec website, but did find this:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-BLELANWR ... gIihfD_BwE

Good luck. There is nothing better than an Elan you can be confident will not overheat.

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:11 am

You can fit an aluminium VW golf radiator easily. A bit of additional bracketry and some creative hose work with silicone hose sections will see you right. You can also adapt the existing fan mounting frame to bolt straight to the front of the rad. There are plenty for sale new on eBay and very cheap compared with triumph radiators and extremely effective. Every one I've done runs at 77-80c on even the hottest of days. You'll need a hose mounted fan switch too but they are readily available. Fit and forget.

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:02 am

nigelrbfurness wrote:You can fit an aluminium VW golf radiator easily.

Nigel F.

Any particular model Golf? After my just finished Alps trip with my narrow rad S4 it would be nice not to have to turn the heater on when things get a bit hot under the collar.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dlbutler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:59 am

alan.barker wrote:Can't you buy a wide Triumph Rad from Moss and just turn the top inlet to suit.
Alan

To convert a Spitfire radiator to Elan specification you need to turn the bottom outlet and remove, cut & reinsert the top inlet. Also, you need to transfer the drain fitting by unsoldering it from the old radiator, drilling a hole in the new and soldering. If you want a thermal switch for electric fans you need to do the same drill and solder to the top tank. I've converted several that I've bought from SpitBits.
1969 Elan S4
1700 cc, Dave Bean #112 cams.
Union Jack Exotics
dlbutler
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 am

I didn't know you had to turn the bottom outlet.
For the Fan Sensor i think it's better to use a Kenlow type that slides inside the bottom Hose.
I'm not so keen on Sensors at the top of the system. If the Coolant level is low at the top you are not sure they have contact with the coolant + Airlocks.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:16 pm

I never had to change the bottom outlet, only rotate the top one by 180 degrees? Didn't bother with the lower drain fitting either, I just loosen the bottom hose to drain the radiator..
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:44 pm

bonjour Carl,
did you fit the wide triumph Rad direct from Rimmer Bros.
A+ Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:21 pm

alan.barker wrote:I didn't know you had to turn the bottom outlet.
For the Fan Sensor i think it's better to use a Kenlow type that slides inside the bottom Hose.
I'm not so keen on Sensors at the top of the system. If the Coolant level is low at the top you are not sure they have contact with the coolant + Airlocks.
Alan

I agree. I have one of the Kenlowe types in my top hose - fitted by P.O. - and it's never worked properly. It works perfectly if I take it out and check it in a pan of water but the variable environment in the top hose has made it effectively redundant. I use a manual switch and just keep an eye on the temp gauge.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 am

69S4 wrote:
nigelrbfurness wrote:You can fit an aluminium VW golf radiator easily.

Nigel F.

Any particular model Golf? After my just finished Alps trip with my narrow rad S4 it would be nice not to have to turn the heater on when things get a bit hot under the collar.

TBH I'm not sure which model -I suspect its a mk1 though. I just went by the shape and qouted dimensions in the advert. The bottom hose outlet is in the right place and you can use the standard bottom hose. You need to move the top mounting forward by about 3/4" I machined a couple of tubular spacers because I'm impatient but fabricating new brackets would be nicer. This gives enough room for a right-angle bend and a straight run of hose between the engine and the rad back to the left hand side. I fitted a remote filler into the top hose, again very cheap off ebay and totally effective. Plus you can reverse the whole setup easily when you come to sell the car. I fitted new bonnet foam too, to abut the top of the rad. Best and cheapest Elan mod I've ever done, cost? Less than ?100.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: