Oil pick up and return tubes.

PostPost by: [email protected] » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:28 am

More help please I have stripped my twink block as far as the oil pick up / return tubes which appear to be compression fits in the block - can't see any flanges retaining bolts etc. What's the best way to get them out.I have a gas torch if this is the right route..

Lotus elan s4
Morgan F4 three wheeler
[email protected]
New-tral

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 pm

If no nut then they are just a tight fit!
I have to admit to not having done this job myself.
However Miles Wilkins says in his book to grab them with mole grips and twist gently back and forth whilst pulling and they should come out.
Presumably a good idea to balance proximity to root to avoid potential torsional damage and not flatten tube too close to socket for good seal on reinsertion.
Wait a little while and I'm sure you'll get first hand advice from experienced engine builders.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Mark is correct. That's how I have done mine. Heat does not help. Cast iron expands little from heating. Heating the steel pickup tube will expand it more and make itself tighter in the bore. If it is really tight, I have clamped the wrench on and tapped on the wrench with a hammer.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Unclip the oil filter gauze. Find a solid piece of round bar that just fits the inside diameter of each tube and is long enough to slide down to block depth. With a piece of thick material, some people use heavy emery cloth, wrap it round each tube in turn and then grip it with your mole grips, fairly tightly, and then sea saw from side to side, applying upward force at the same time, and out they will come.

Before removal, mark the bottom of each tube where it enters the block, so you know how far to knock it back in.

To relace the tubes, find a long bolt that fits inside each, and then just tap the bolt head until the tube is at the required depth.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:55 pm

A technique I have used successfully it to get a piece of (preferably hard) wood. 2" X 1" would do. Drill a hole the diameter (or slightly smaller) than the tube. Saw the wood down its length straight through the middle of the hole. You can then clamp the pieces around the tube with a mole and it should hold tight without crushing or marking.

Or a suitable stud extractor if you have one that uses the smooth rollers.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am

Needs care to avoid damaging the tube, they don't come out easily. I think you can get new ones.

I noticed your other car. My first car was a Morgan F4, I bought it as you could drive a three wheeler at 16 then - a very long time ago. I sold it to Dudley Collard the Concord Engineer, who took it to the south off France, I heard a few years ago that he still had it.
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: [email protected] » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks all, again fantastic fund of knowledge out there freely given
[email protected]
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:47 am

Bob
You're a brave man , using your email address as your " persona" , hove you've got a good spam filter...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: [email protected] » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi all, both pipes out ; return pipe using the drilled split wooden block route. Oil pickup pipe using internal rod / mole grip external clamp method.

Side note to Gray let me know your F4 Reg No and I will get you an update on its current state
[email protected]
New-tral

PostPost by: Gray » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 pm

Bob

Morgan F4 reg was FOL 56

Cheers Gray
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: