S2 possible starter motor issue?

PostPost by: OriginalFire » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:25 am

I'm having an issue with my 66 S2. I had the car going for a couple drives, but now when I try and start the car. The engine doesn't even turn over. There's a weird grinding like sound coming from I think the starter motor. See video attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zeavz0 ... p=drivesdk

Do you think I need a new starter motor or is it an issue with something else?

Thanks,
Jon
OriginalFire
New-tral

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:25 am

Hard to tell, but your starter motor bolts may be loose, or your battery is too weak to engage the solenoid.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: OriginalFire » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:03 am

StressCraxx wrote:Hard to tell, but your starter motor bolts may be loose, or your battery is too weak to engage the solenoid.

I'll check the bolts sometime.
For sure my battery was full charged at that time.
OriginalFire
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am

what type of starter do you have ? Original Lucas inertia engage starter or a pre-engage replacement

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Following Rohan's comment, it may be the case that the starter motor is not engaging the flywheel properly.

Is this a new starter motor ?

This can happen for a number of reasons and recently when I bought one of these, the supplier, Jon Savage (cambridgemotorsportparts) even asked me for the distance from the engine back plate. He then proceded to have the starter motor adjusted for the dimension.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: benymazz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:44 pm

If it's the Lucas starter, there's a joke to be made here about this being normal operation for Lucas electronic components.

Jokes aside, I'll throw two guesses in here: Either the pinion gear on the starter is completely wasted and shed all of its teeth, or there's an electrical fault in the armature.

I don't like either of my guesses though, because in the event of the first I would expect to see the engine turn over at least a fraction of a degree, but I'm not seeing the fan moving at all. I don't like the second guess because if there was a fault, I would expect some smoke or at least a funny smell, which you didn't mention.

Good luck,
Ben
1965 S2 26/4623
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
"I'm never gonna financially recover from this"
benymazz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:07 pm

My vote goes for a loose starter motor or worst case a partially stripped ring gear on the flywheel.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 325racer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:47 am

Sounds like the teeth on both ring and starter motor are chewed up. Try turning motor by hand a a little. This will line up other teeth on the flywheel and try again. Not a horrible fix, just throw in a new modern starter, they engage the opposite sure of the ring gear, so you don't have to pull engine and replace gears.
325racer
New-tral

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:25 am

The flywheel ring gear has a small chamfer on one side of each tooth to help the gears engage. If fitting a starter motor that engages from the other side you won?t have this chamfer to aid smooth engagement. I?ve not tried it to see if it causes a problem, others may have done. If it?s not a loose motor it?s likely the ring gear is damaged near where the load is greatest as the pistons approach TDC and replacing the starter won?t cure the problem. I replaced mine some years ago, it?s possible at home but probably better done by an engineering shop.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:03 pm

it would be useful if Jon / OriginalFire responded to the question of what type of starter he had fitted. Until that is answered all the rest if interesting but arbitrary speculation.

cheers
Rohan
" In God I trust .... all others please bring data"
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: