S3 Radiator 3 Core

PostPost by: William2 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 am

I have decided to fit a wide S3 radiator to my car to improve the cooling. Is the standard core fine for the job or is it worth having a 3 core fitted? Is there a downside to 3 cores in making it more difficult for the fan to push air through?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Maybe just another story.
As the efficiency of a radiator is proportional to the differential in temperature, water on inside air on outside, CC insisted that his engines ran at the MAX possible temperature. Reason for this being as transfer efficiency would then be higher a smaller ( read cheaper ) radiator could be used.
But as with a lot of other CC?s minimising or dual role for components innovations, they were not always a good plan.
FWIW.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Hi William,
Early S4 with the wide radiator with 3 row core. Two 9" blower fans fitted directly onto front of core instead of the water pump mounted fan. Has been this way for over 6 years with no problems. Car driven mainly in SE QLD.
Cheers,
Colin.

William2 wrote:I have decided to fit a wide S3 radiator to my car to improve the cooling. Is the standard core fine for the job or is it worth having a 3 core fitted? Is there a downside to 3 cores in making it more difficult for the fan to push air through?
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: