Restoration/Engine Rebuild underway

PostPost by: 325racer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:59 pm

I finally got to start my engine restoration.

Head was pulled about 2 months ago. It was sent out to have the coolant passages ceramic coated in hopes to prevent future leakage (leaking coolant has always been an issues). Prior to that it got new guides that have been modified to accept guide/valve seals. We also determined that during previous valve jobs someone used C clips that sat above the retainer pocket that caused the spring seats to crack. We also measure the springs and decided they were on the weak side. So new springs and seat were also ordered.

The engine was pulled this weekend and will be completely gone through. It's already 40 over, but probably doesn't have correctly sized rings, so those will need to be sized and ordered.

I'm planning to do the replaceable water pump front housing, alternator conversion and electronic distributor or distributor modification.

This is the original Chassis, so I'm not planning to change that, but the motor mounts are cracked and will need repair/reinforcement.

Other than that, things are in good order for a car that has sat for nearly 40 years, with a minor overhaul about 20 years ago. It got new starter and a head repair due to coolant leaks (see top of post).

Photos.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152524468@N08/2jCB3W
325racer
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Nice! I see you pulled the gearbox with the engine. Do you plan on putting it back that way?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 325racer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:37 pm

gjz30075 wrote:Nice! I see you pulled the gearbox with the engine. Do you plan on putting it back that way?

Maybe, i don't recall how it was done last time, but I know its a hassle to align the prop shaft
325racer
New-tral

Total Online: