Spark plug inserts

PostPost by: EPA » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:15 am

I have owned my plus 2 for nearly eight years and became aware that the spark plug for number two cylinder had been fitted with a repair insert when I first removed the head within weeks of purchase. This has never been a problem and I have removed/ changed the plugs many times over subsequent years. Yesterday however l was removing the plugs and immediately when I started to remove number 2 plug It felt wrong. When the plug was out I realised that the insert had come out with the plug. I suspected that the reason that this happened on this occasion was that unusually I had removed the plug whilst the engine was still fairly hot and with this in mind I refitted the plug with the insert and left the car overnight to cool. This morning sure enough the plug came out normally leaving the insert in position.
I am now trying to establish what thread locker if any should be used when fitting a repair insert and would be grateful for any assistance from anyone who has experience with these inserts. It?s a solid insert not a coil.

Thanks in advance
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:55 am

Solid plain diameter interference fit insert or one with a threaded OD that was screwed in?

For the latter use Loctite studlock

For the former bearing fit but if there was any resistance when it was removed the reamed hole in the thread may have become scored, still probably best to use bearing fit.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am

Chancer wrote:Solid plain diameter interference fit insert or one with a threaded OD that was screwed in?

For the latter use Loctite studlock

For the former bearing fit but if there was any resistance when it was removed the reamed hole in the thread may have become scored, still probably best to use bearing fit.

It?s a threaded OD which just unscrewed instead of the plug unscrewing out of the insert
Thanks
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm sure there's a Loctite product for this somewhere.

This might also be worth a try : https://www.jbweld.com/collections/spec ... xtremeheat.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Yeah, I'd be careful with something like that. That is the plug's path to ground after all and it has to be a good one.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: