Steel caps & line-boring cylinder block Mids/Yorkshire area

PostPost by: promotor » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:54 am

I've just purchased the last of some tasty bits for my Twincam (steel crank, rods and pistons) and need to have some steel caps fitted to a Lotus block - can anyone recommend a decent firm to do this?
Someone who does high-end work regularly are the type of firm I'm looking for as I'm tired of using places that are just playing at it!

I'm near to Sheffield but don't mind travelling an hour or so to somewhere that really knows their stuff and can produce book-spec sizes.

Also looking for feedback on steel caps and suppliers of these. Either traditional steel caps or FIA caps. Has anyone had any experience of the FIA spec caps?

Thanks in advance (hopefully someone will reply! :lol: )
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:52 am

Hello,

if you're not after a FIA compliant engine, the standard, squarish non FIA caps would do just as well for a fraction of the price imho (the steel FIA caps are made to look like cast ones, which were the only ones listed on the spec sheets in period, and that makes for extra work).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:28 am

John Smurthwaite at JS Motorsport is about an hour and twenty minutes.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:41 am

You clearly appreciate the need for experts with this and the idea of steel caps sounds appealing, but as suggested the 701 square caps are a really good option.
One problem with line boring steel caps is the cutting properties of the two differences materials causing inaccurate sizing.
A good machine shop will reduce the caps and line bore to use standard back bearings changing the compression height only by a very small amount, you may be adjusting this anyway.
FWIW
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

Re John Smurthwaite - he does good work but didn't do the block work himself last time I used him - he has the machines to do the headwork but crank grinding, block boring etc is all out-sourced. In that vein it would make sense for me to cut out the middle-man.

I see the FIA caps are expensive - I am toying with the idea of an FIA legal bottom end just to say I've done it and because I've got some rather nice period goodies (Cosworth pistons and rods, Laystall crank, and a BRM Fuel iInjection Group 5 Lotus Cortina cylinder head - which is cast with extra parts in it that normal Twincam heads don't have - that I'd like to do something with).

I would prefer to be able to use standard sized bearings (so would prefer someone who is good with tolerances, fit and finish) as that requires attention to detail that an average machine shop may not possess.

I prefer to deal in the 1st person rather than taking an item to someone that will take it to be done elsewhere. Just need some names now!
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Not too far away is; https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/peterburgess/page30.html an eccentric and messy set up but highly recommended. He does head work for many others though not blocks but maybe he`ll point you in the right direction if you call in. I doubt you`d get much joy on the phone.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 am

Paul Exon, Coalville?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am

jono wrote:Paul Exon, Coalville?

He maybe able to do the machine work, but two of the engines he built for me had serious issues.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 pm

If you want to rebuild it yourself try Coventry Boring and Metalling. Used them many times and they're excellent. A guy who rebuilds his own F Ford engines swears by them. They also do white metalling so not your average machine shop. Give them a call they're really helpful.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Donels wrote:If you want to rebuild it yourself try Coventry Boring and Metalling. Used them many times and they're excellent. A guy who rebuilds his own F Ford engines swears by them. They also do white metalling so not your average machine shop. Give them a call they're really helpful.

Thanks for that, sounds like a good lead even though they are a little far from me to just call-in if need be.
I'll at least give them a call if I don't end up using one of my already steel capped blocks.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: