Strobe missing

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:15 pm

I am currently fitting the distributor to my +2. I adjusted the timing to 10 degrees static. The distributor is a 23D with new advance springs, and all seems to be working ok. With the engine on idle The strobe was flashing regularly on plug lead number 1. I then moved the strobe pick up to the other leads to check if they were all regular. There was no strobe flash or rpm signal( the strobe has a rpm feature) on plug number 2 lead. I pulled the plug lead off of the plug and the revs dropped and the idle became lumpy. I changed the plug, no difference. I changed the plug cap and leads, no difference. I changed the distributor for one with Aldon ignitor ignition, no difference. Still no signal on number 2 plug lead, although the cylinder appears to be firing ok at all times. I think there must be a fault of some kind as the other three leads all give a signal to fire the strobe. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions. I may be missing something obvious,
Thanks,
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:28 pm

Is your strobe pick-up the type with an arrow that should point to the plugs?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Mick,
The daftest things are always the simplest things. Is it possible that due to the way the ignition leads are lying that you have put the probe on to No.2 the wrong way round. My strobe has an arrow on the probe which points towards the plug. The problem with this idea is that you would have to have got it wrong every time.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE rained off again

Edit. Overlapped with John above
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. I at first thought that the probe was reversed but no joy. All I can imagine is that for some reason the field from No. 2 plug is being affected somehow, but I have tried the probe in different places on the lead with no difference. It's almost as if there's no current to generate a signal, but the engine seems to idle just fine!
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:38 pm

The spark plug on that cylinder has a smaller gap than the others.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: