Water less coolant

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 pm

There's a very sound answer to this perceived problem. Stay original!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm not saying that at all. My point is that each expands a certain amount exclusive of boiling. If one boils at a certain temperature but the other remains liquid at that temperature the former will expand "explosively" as it boils and hot gas and liquid is released. The latter will expand due to the coefficient of thermal expansion but if it remains below the boiling point there will be no gas/liquid "explosion" just the difference in volume due to the coefficient times the delta T. Again, I'm merely talking theory here not about specific liquids. It's similar to the difference between a hydraulic and pneumatic system. Releasing stored hydraulic pressure results in a sudden drop in pressure (assuming the pump is no longer running) while stored energy in a pneumatic system is far more dangerous as it acts like a spring. A cap or plug on a pressurised but static hydraulic system won't go far when released while the same on a pressurised pneumatic system will be propelled across a room. :shock: I may not be using the clearest description but I hope you get my meaning.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Don't believe what Jeffs Ad robot is trying to flog me now
7644799772477462564.jpg and

Anyway, you are saying that no scalding liquid will be ejected from the system then? It won't be under pressure? What am I missing?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 am

Spyder fan wrote:
Maybe we need a whip round to buy some and run some tests?

Definitely need a whip round.

Just seen the promotion in Club Lotus News.

?63.95 for 5 litres and ?39.95 for 5 litres of the essential Preparation Fluid!

They are 'avin a larf!
Last edited by elj221c on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 am

Ah yes, but it does cure all known illnesses & also revives worn out cordless tool batteries :mrgreen:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Galwaylotus wrote:I'm not saying that at all. My point is that each expands a certain amount exclusive of boiling. If one boils at a certain temperature but the other remains liquid at that temperature the former will expand "explosively" as it boils and hot gas and liquid is released. The latter will expand due to the coefficient of thermal expansion but if it remains below the boiling point there will be no gas/liquid "explosion" just the difference in volume due to the coefficient times the delta T. Again, I'm merely talking theory here not about specific liquids. It's similar to the difference between a hydraulic and pneumatic system. Releasing stored hydraulic pressure results in a sudden drop in pressure (assuming the pump is no longer running) while stored energy in a pneumatic system is far more dangerous as it acts like a spring. A cap or plug on a pressurised but static hydraulic system won't go far when released while the same on a pressurised pneumatic system will be propelled across a room. :shock: I may not be using the clearest description but I hope you get my meaning.

Agreed! It won't belch out nasty hissy steam and scalding superheated glycol. I still wouldn't want to pioneer the first test of removing the radiator cap to prove the theory about the Evans stuff as I suspect that it will belch out superheated waterless coolant, maybe not explosively but enough to hurt quite a bit.

The stuff is interesting in the same way as silicone brake fluid was interesting when it came onto the classic car scene, we were all sold on the fact that it never needed replacing and wasn't affected by moisture ingress, had a higher boiling point etc etc, it was the marvellous solution for all our braking problems. There are a few die hard fans of the stuff but most of us stay with the standard brake fluid designed for our systems due to spongy brake pedals, difficulty getting air out of the system and yes it didn't attract moisture but neither did it repel it leading to rusty pistons and cylinders and all the braking woes you can think of associated with that scenario.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 pm

mark t wrote:Yes, I have it in my 51 Ford woodie and my 56 austin healey 100 m and it works great. and when i get my elan done i will used it there.

Mark

Mark,

I have an Austin Healey 100 Owners Handbook, 1955 printing. Are you interested in it? I'm not sure where I picked it up but I've had it a long time.

Paul
Attachments
AH 100 OM p1.jpg and
AH 100 OM.jpg and
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Alan, I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying. I was only pointing out the difference between thermal expansion and boiling. Personally I wouldn't use silicone brake fluid nor any coolant other than the right mix of ethylene glycol and water. The latter because as far as I am aware water still has the best heat characteristics. Just my opinion. :)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:01 pm

I thought I would resurrect this old topic.

I'm getting regular emails from Rimmer Brothers and other classic car parts suppliers extolling the virtues of Evans Waterless Coolant. All the popular classic car magazines hold adverts and run features on the product, it seems you can't get away from it and people say that it definitely works as described. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID009163?src=EVANS&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Inhouse&utm_campaign=150313

I'm still not convinced and am quite happy with my distilled water / antifreeze mix that quite happily keeps my cars running in the normal zone on the hottest days of the year in the most awful UK summer traffic. And for the few quid it costs every other year to flush and replace I'm sticking to it.

I had a search around for horror stories and neutral reports by doing a search through the normal popular online engines and once you get past the adverts masquerading as unbiased comment you start coming across articles such as this
http___www.norosion.com_evanstest.pdf
(271.33 KiB) Downloaded 412 times

Although it is a report by an apparent competitor http://www.norosion.com/ http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm I think that this report and others like it that I have seen cast real doubt on the product especially with regards to the reality of trying to remove at least 97% of the water from your system before Evans is truly effective.

John Pelly said it was Snake Oil and I agree with him.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: