70's Wood-Jeffreys auto cooling fan.

PostPost by: djb222 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Fitted to my 68' S4 SE is a S3 radiator and an aftermarket WOOD-JEFFREYS Ltd Auto cooling fan. The company are no longer active and I cannot find any info on them or the fan on the internet. Anybody able to enlighten me?

I assume the fan was fitted at the same time as the S3 radiator, however it is likely that as mine is an early S4 the rad could have been factory fitted. The fan is automatic but with a manual override switch fitted below the dash. The wiring of the fan is very untidy and am unsure whether to refit it or not when I come to refitting the engine bay.

Love to hear if anyone else has one of these fans fitted.

https://youtu.be/ukrrneSOgb4
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm

I can't answer your question reference the fan, but my car is an early S4 from 1968 and also has the S3 radiator, and S3 windscreen demister grill. Some people refer to these early S4 cars as an S3 & a 1/2.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: derek uk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:25 am

The W-J fans were introduced to the market using the flat pancake motor. The Kenlowe was using the conventional cylindrical motor. This did give W-J an advantage when fitting the fan in some cars where there wasn't much room for the can motor. It could also be fitted in some cases behind the rad and in front of the motor, something that Kenlow couldn't do. Kenlowe fairly quickly started to offer both types. The company was smaller than Kenlowe but the fans were popular.
Shouldn't be too difficult to tidy up the wiring and maybe discard the convoluted covering if it takes up too much room or you don't like it. There are alternatives. I used 2 core red/black to do the fan in my Saab 96 and that hides away well. I got mine from a caravan shop were it is used to wire out caravans, just power and earth. Kenlowe said that if I used their controller I didn't need a relay and that worked fine although I didn't use one of their fans.
Kenlowe no longer sells fan kits for classics etc. but can still supply some of the components.
derek uk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking at what is available these days.
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: