1970 Lotus Elan S-4,S.E. Convert, $17,500 Wa St USA

PostPost by: snowgear » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:14 pm

For Sale, 1970 Lotus Elan, series 4, S.E. Driver. VIN # 45/9517. Build date 10/1969. 87500 Original Miles. $17,500.00. Special equipment roadster with the true knock off rims.
I have owned this car for over 10 years. I bought it in June of 2004, . It has a clear Washington State title in my name.. I have it insured with Hagerty. I bought the lotus from a Lotus club member in Colorado in 2004, , who upgraded to an Elise. It has Washington State collectors plates. It is a daily driver, only used in the summer time. The roll bar was installed by the previous owner in Colorado. Stromberg head and carbs.

Work I have done over the years,, New "Spyder" Aluminum fuel tank, New wiring in the dash and engine bay, with a new bus bar, and 60 amp main fuse. New Smiths oil and water temp gauge, JAE pertonix distributor, coil, Smiths Volt gauge, interior light, under dash plastic trims,, ( drivers side still needs installed) , New headlight/vacuum switch, vacuum lines, and much more. Both electric windows work well, speedometer is very jumpy and reads 15-20 MPH over, due to the larger tires. Fuel gauge works, water pump is solid and tight. Heater works well at both speeds. Wipers work,, Electric tach disconnected due to pertronix distributor. E Brake NOT working. Oil pressure always at 40 PSI,, Runs cool with updated radiator and electric fan. Wood dash is nice, with a plastic "FORD" blanking plate over the radio cut out. Horn button not connected to 13" Grant steering wheel,, horn is by a dash switch and works.

Vacuum Headlights pop right up, flashing with high and low beams. Original Lotus frame and chassis,, front cross member holds air tight for headlights. All lights and turn signals are great. Top dash has no cracks, and demister vents are restored. Seats are good, and the car comes with Brand new Dave Bean stainless steel seat rails. Seats have 3 point seatbelts. Custom roll bar. Tires are oversize, (5) Bridgestone 175/70 SR 13, BS BT70S. They are wider, and really have a soft ride.. The Lotus has the triple spinner knock offs and pin drive rims. Factory jack included. The on board spare is a smaller tire size,, as the wide tires won't fit in the trunk. Also comes with a full size spare with brand new tire. Most Interior carpet is original, as are seats and door panels. Convertible boot top, tops bows, and functional top,, ( tight fit) included.

Items needing attention: Twin Cam engine leaks lots of oil at the rubber down tube between head and block,.. New rubber down tube included. This car is an oil leaker,, that is what probably saved the chassis/ frame from rust. The chassis is very solid. Sliding splines, NO rubber doughnuts. Under -neath is very dry, and solid..

The passenger side windshield stantion /support, is cracked. Causing the windshield glass at the top , to move out of the rubber seal, when the passenger door is open. Needs paint and minor fiberglass repair. Car was hit in the front in the past, and repaired well with a new front clip. Insurance claim by previous owner. One headlight pod needs an adjustment. Small quarter sized Stress cracks and ding on left rear fender, were a battery came lose at one time,, Brand New $400.00 Odessey Battery now has a side ways battery mount, so this will never happen again. Doors close well, and lock,, Locking gas cap. Crack in trunk floor where some thing was dropped, "GB" sticker is over the crack. Frame was cut about ?"-3/8", to allow custom headers to clear the frame. Exhaust system is great,, transmission is close ratio, and very tight, no slipping ever. The twin cam has never been rebuilt to my knowledge, and runs very strong, Car always starts , choke knob is the round knob on the right top,, left knob is not attached to anything.. Hood release and lock is a Shimano bicycle 10 speed derailer, and works very well,, bolted to the e brake, one on each side. Charging is by alternator. Receipts going back to 2001,, 1 Box of spare parts included.

This lotus is a daily driver,, it runs, starts, and stops well. I have taken it on many Wenatchee British Car Club drives, and have driven over 250 miles in one day.. The major issue is the oil leaks,, I just always use an oil pan underneath, too lazy to install the new rubber down tube.
Jay Leno has this same car, ( a Blue S4, his favorite British Sports car) and has a 16 minute you tube video showing this exact car, and how they solved the down tube problem by using a collection canister and re routing the oil back to the block.
Strong twin cam,, VERY, VERY, FAST CAR.. It handles like a dream.. Yes,, you can drive this car home. Always used Mobile 1 synthetic oil,, always winterized and stored in a heated garage.
I just don't drive this car enough anymore,, Maybe 200 miles last summer, tops, to car shows and club drives. My attention is now on my 1967 Triumph TR4A, and my 1956 Series one, Land Rover restoration.
Price is $17,500.00, Car is located, 75 miles from my home, at my Girlfriends shop in Monitor, Washington,, Located in Eastern, Washington,, Near Wenatchee, Washington. I can show the car, and you can take a test drive by appointment on weekends. I can take more specific photos this weekend, email for any questions or more info,, I can assist with loading the car for your transport, and can assist for export. I just drove it Sunday,, started right up and ran like a top. I have many more photos, or see my craigslist Seattle ad here

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4693148851/jg999

Local British trades considered,, Interested in a Nice, driver, TR2, TR3, or TR3A, Or a low mile MINT Jaguar XK8. Contact Tim at [email protected]
Attachments
elanrear1.jpg
elanrear1.jpg (69 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
elanside2.jpg
elanside2.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
elanairbox1.jpg
elanairbox1.jpg (82.54 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Elandash.jpg
Elandash.jpg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
elannose.jpg
elannose.jpg (70.87 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
By the Lake.jpg and