Lotus Elan

1972 Lotus Elan +2S 130/4, Santa Fe, NM, USA

PostPost by: lotus11_1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 pm

I have just listed what I consider the quintessential Elan Plus Two, a Lotus Elan Plus 2S 100/4 with its classical presentation of silver roof over blue, Big Valve motor with Weber head on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Lotus-Elan ... S-&vxp=mtr

This Elan has been pampered all of its life, consistently maintained and regularly driven and has undergone two intensive renovations. The last one where the body work was finished glass smooth, the interior trimmed with gray leather and dark gray wool carpets, and motor rebuilt to European specs.

Below is the write-up for Ebay. The Buy-it-Now price is $22,500, with the Reserve Price of $19,850. I’m giving you, as a Lotus enthusiast the Reserve Price, because I would prefer it to go to someone who knows and appreciates Lotus Elans. The write-up mentions an extra set of Panasports I have for sale – Price is $850. Plus like any long-term Elan owner I have extra parts: set of steel wheels with perfect peg holes, box of ignition parts, box of Weber parts, box of electrical parts, knock-on spinner tool, etc. Let’s chat, I Iike talking about Elans. (505) 232-2314.

Ebay write-up:
There are GOOD Lotus Elans – There are BAD Lotus Elans – this is a VERY GOOD Lotus Elan. My nephew has given me this Lotus Elan Plus Two 130/4. It has everything desirable that you may want on an Elan Plus Two (I know because I have owned two VERY BAD earlier Elan Plus 2s: very time consuming and costly to repair at every turn, but, what enjoyable turns).
This Elan shows the classic beauty of the last-of-the-line Elan Plus Two 130/4 with the silver roof over blue that you seem to see in photos of the Plus Two 130/4 in all the Lotus Books. It is the most powerful of the breed with the Big-Valve motor, and unlike other U.S. import Elans, this one has been retrofitted with the Weber head.
Pampered all of its life; most of it in Santa Fe, New Mexico, before that Southern California, it is on its second full restoration during its life span of 68,000 miles:
• Best paint and smoothness of the fiberglass bodywork on any Lotus I have ever seen. Please note: minor dings caused by the head light buckets being raised at speed. See photos.
• Ballsy engine. It needs octane booster to prevent pinging. And yes, it leaks oil – however, main seal and other fixes were done within six thousand miles and it didn’t leak after that but only for a short time.
• Weber Carbs. European spec Big-Valve Weber head with K&N air filters – who wants Stromberg Carbs on an Elan? Please note: the original Lotus fiberglass air snorkel is included as a spare part.
• Beautiful Walnut Burl Dash. Just look at it! See photos. Please note: the original Lotus steering wheel comes as a spare.
• Leather interior. Custom gray leather interior with upgraded dark gray wool carpets and light gray headliner – who wants a cheap vinyl interior on the top-of-the-line Elan.
• Aviation quality wiring harness. Custom wiring harness is excessively grounded to the chassis. Please note: the running lights were never hooked up. Please note: battery trickle charger in the trunk – battery will drain over time. See photos.
• Five-Spoke Revolution Wheels. Do you have any idea how rare these wheels are? Panasports are not good enough for this Elan. And yes, Panasports were fitted, for a short time; and, now this set is available, sold separately, if you want them.
• Spinners for the knock-on wheels – who wants the look of the U.S. spec octagon nut on those beautiful Revolution Wheels.
• CV driveshaft conversion. Replaces the rotoflex half-shafts with CV joints to eliminate the rubber wind-up in the drive train. And yes, the undercarriage is clean, black painted with an upgraded stainless steel exhaust.
What I think the car needs is a high torque gear reduction starter. It would be lighter and more powerful than the original. I think the high compression motor deserves it.
This car does NOT have an upgrade common to pampered Elans: an aluminum radiator.
If you enjoy this Elan Plus Two, like a fine wine, just for a casual Sunday afternoons, just to drive and enjoy the day, the radiator does just fine. The cooling fan does not cycle on until about one-half hour of spirited driving. However, if you are going to really exercise it, maybe an upgraded radiator would be a good idea.
With élan,
Please call Mark with questions (505) 232-2314

20170909_163039.jpg and

P.S. I know a lot about Elans. I was told something I don’t’ know is true. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if only 315 Lotus Elan Plus Two 130/4 were imported to North America? Thanks.
Attachments
20170909_163159.jpg and
20170909_163237.jpg and
20170909_163020_001.jpg and
20170909_160640.jpg and
20170909_162636.jpg and
lotus11_1
New-tral

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Gorgeous car!
couple quick question:
does ambient air temp gauge work?
also, why the gas filler cap in that location?
this is a 4 speed, not a 5 speed?
good luck with the sale. Very pretty!
thanks
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm

tedtaylor wrote:this is a 4 speed, not a 5 speed?

Ted, I do not think Lotus imported or sold any 130/5s in the US. The 2 I know of over here were personal imports.

I could believe that 315 number for Federal 130/4s, they are very rare over here.

Lovely car, also interested in the history behind that fuel filler cap.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm

There was a guy on here not so long ago seeking a nice Plus 2 in the US (in fact was so keen he was going to import one!) - might be worth a search and getting in touch and saving your fees!
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but Lotus designated the 4 speed the +2S 130. It was only when the 5 speed came out that we got the cumbersome title of +2S 130/5. Jim
Last edited by JimE on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimE
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:56 pm

I wouldn't be that shocked if 314 was total +2 imported to US, not just +2S130/4s...

pharriso wrote:Ted, I do not think Lotus imported or sold any 130/5s in the US. The 2 I know of over here were personal imports.

I agree with Phil here, they'd stopped importing +2's before the 5 speed was available. There more than 2 made it to the US thou. The Elan Register shows 3 and the +2 register shows 4 but one of them is duplicate... I've also seen reference to at least one owner converted car on BAT. There's likely to be a few not on the register too, so suspect at least 10 cars here.

pharriso wrote:Lovely car, also interested in the history behind that fuel filler cap.

I second both points on that, can't wait until I return mine back to lagoon blue.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 am

The last car, 0315N rolled off the production line in August and was invoiced in September 1972, two months before the press launch of the Lotus 5 speed gearbox at the London Motor Show.

I suspect the reason no Lotus +2S 130/5 cars were officially exported to North America was due to the Type Approval process required before public sale. Lotus was already planning the next generation cars so probably felt it was not worth the candle.

The last +2S 130 Federal N types all came off the production line in August 1972 and the final one invoiced by the factory was in December 1972.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus11_1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Hello, one and all,

Thank you . . . I appreciate your comments. Here are some answers to your questions about the Elan Plus Two.

The ambient air temp gauge has not worked for a decade or so.

I'm not sure about the entire story about why the gas filler cap was moved. It was moved during the last renovation. It seems the wife (the poor wives get all the blame) just couldn't stand the smell of gas in the garage emanating from the Lotus. So, a concerted effort was made to eliminate the odor during the the renovation including moving the gas filler cap. It was a futile effort. I don't know of any fixes that have been completely successful. For me, I like the look (maybe that was the real reason). It kind of reminds me a Ferrari Dino 206 GT.

The car is a 4 speed . . .

I've answered a question about the extra set of Panasports I have for sale. I'm not sure I've got the answer exactly right. A guy called and wanted them for his Elan Plus Two. I told him the wheels were a little narrow for the Plus Two at 5 inches wide (this is the major factor as to why they were not used on this Plus Two) and were really only for the two seat Elan (I don't like the term baby Elan). I told him Panasport never made the correct size wheel for the Elan Plus Two . . . Do you know it this statement is true or not?

Thanks, again,

Mark
lotus11_1
New-tral

Total Online: