Lotus Elan Sprint FHC for sale in Scotland

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:03 am

o 1972 Lotus Elan Sprint ? when I purchased this car in 2012, it had not been driven since 1977 following a minor accident and was completely dismantled. The body was off the chassis and all the parts were in boxes. The VIN shows it was manufactured in late 1971 but not registered until February 1972.
Work done by me over the period 2012 - 2015:
o New chassis from Spyder Engineering. This chassis was supplied with the car and was actually made in the early eighties, but never used. Body shell stripped bare, gel coat damage repaired. Shell painted in 2-pack. Spyder roll-over bar, sill and footwell protection bars fitted. New inertia reel seat belts fitted. Wooden dashboard refurbished. New carpets and underfelts fitted.
o Chassis components all renewed. New Spyder front and rear wishbones, fronts mounted on poly bushes. New dampers and springs from Spyder. New front swivels. Steering rack refurbished. All new brake pipes in cupro-nickel, new braided flexible hoses. New master cylinder with remote reservoir. Reconditioned front and rear callipers, with new pads. New discs all round. New rear drive shafts from Elantrikbits in Australia with inboard and outboard constant velocity joints instead of Rotoflex couplings. Five new Vredestein Sprint tyres fitted.
o Engine fully reconditioned. Cylinders rebored and all mechanical components renewed. Alternator and high torque starter motor fitted. New water pump. New radiator. New electric radiator fan. Weber carbs refurbished. New K&N air filter fitted. Aldon Ignitor ignition in reconditioned distributor. New Webcon electric fuel pump fitted in boot. New ethanol resistant fuel lines used throughout. New alloy fuel tank from Spyder.
o New clutch assembly. Gearbox inspected and new layshaft bearings installed. Differential overhauled.
o New wiring harness installed and upgraded to use multiple fuses and relays to protect circuits and switches. Cibie halogen headlamps fitted. High-level brake light fitted. Hazard lights installed. Intermittent wiper installed. Headlight raising mechanism changed to use MX-5 electric motors.
o Safety/security features include battery cut-out with removable key, inertia switch on fuel pump, ignition controlled relay cuts off fuel pump if engine stops.

I have the original green card log book which shows that the Elan was first registered on 21st February 1972 and has lived all its life in Scotland. I am only the fifth registered owner. I have lots of receipts for the parts used in the rebuild and lots of photos.

The car was MOT tested on 31st March 2016 and has covered less than 1000 miles since the rebuild. It looks smart and drives well. Club Lotus valued it this year at ?47,000 for insurance purposes.

I would like to get ?34,000 or near offer for the car. The car (and I) live in Troon, Ayrshire, about 30 miles south of Glasgow. PM me for more info.
Attachments
032.jpg and
img_4725.jpg and
img_4726.jpg and
img_4727.jpg and
img_4730.jpg and
img_4724.jpg and
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:48 am

IMHO far too cheap but if Mike is happy with that figure someone rip his arm off quick!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:43 pm

Fair indeed,
Broon frae Eastbourne
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 pm

Having followed your restoration of the car from day 001, I'm sure that you have a serious reason to be parting with it. I do hope that everything is OK .
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu May 19, 2016 9:48 pm

This car is now sold.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: