Plus 2 for $6K in Iowa City, IA

PostPost by: mrpeugeot » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:42 am

My hometown of Iowa City. I only ever saw one other Lotus there - a Europa S2 a college student owned while I was in high school.

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4487066845.html

No connection to the seller.
mrpeugeot
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:37 am

It's been for sale for quite some time. I talked to the owner over a year ago, decided it was bit too much work for me. More of a full restoration candidate.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 pm

Is this the same one that used to be in Houston, came from New Orleans or thereabouts some years back?
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:28 am

From memory I think it is. I think the current owner got it from someone in Houston. Took it to Dallas, then moved to cedar rapids and is now selling it. Or maybe they took it to cedar rapids and has moved to Dallas now. Something like that.

The owner i think is registered on here and have me a user name so I found a previous for sale topic on the car when he got it from the guy in Houston.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:36 am

mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:36 am

Well you are partly correct it was for sale in the Houston area and sold to the present owner who did nothing but move it to Iowa. He was then transferred for work to Dallas area. He was a local club member and I have personally looked the car over and all the bits. My son and I went to look a year or so back as we both have lots of Elan and +2 knowledge. If some one is looking to do a complete rebuild and have a nice car when done for a keep shake then have at it. It is an all numbers matching car, but go into this with a total restoration in mind and have a very deep pocket book as everything is needing work. It was stored outside under a tarp during its time in Iowa and has been moved to a storage garage now.
We currently own a +2 and a couple Elans and I have restored several others so I have a good feel for the cars work required. It will need everything rebuilt.
Best of luck to anyone who takes this on.

Mark

I forgot to mention we live about 20 minutes from the car and if anyone gets serious and needs a hand with anything let me know. It would be nice to see it not get parted and back to the road.
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:00 am

I thought it looked familiar. I saw it in Houston, it was under a tarp then. It needed a ton of work and I really wanted a DHC so didn't buy it. It was a good basis for a rebuild I thought, though. There wasnt a lot missing.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:59 am

My big issue is amount of work needed, you will be upside down even doing all the work. The windshield leaked lots of water and dash is in parts from water damage. All gauges are rusted. Yes it is all present and can be rebuilt just need to go in with eyes open. Best part looks to be motor compartment as it was under cover. Body does not show any crash damage either. I have a full set of pictures somewhere that we took. Wish the best for both the seller and buyer.
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:39 am

WOW!!!!!...I'm I THANKFUL for All You Guys, as I've been in contact with the seller "Don".

Traded numerous emails, wanted additional photos Never received them. Don stated to myself, "I'm in no rush to sell the car".

Well after reading the above posts & insightful information, you Guys have SAVED ME from a "Money Pit". You guys are ALL on my Christmas card mailing list!!!...THANKS!!!. My Best Regards to ALL!!!...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: