Black Elan 2+2

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi guys...great forum, and I've nearly gone blind reading most all of it! I'm a Lotus nut from way back...still have my '67 S3 Coupe bought in '75, and used to run the South West Club Lotus group when it re-started in the 70's. But then went off to Australia for a while, came back and got excited by E Types. Now my Lotus enthusiasm has been rekindled by buying a Plus 2 5 speed (chassis 7312). And it's all black.
So here's the question for you originality guys and historians. Why is it all black?!
I seem to remember hearing or reading that perhaps as many as 90 or even 100 JPS Elans were made...but after 50 or so, they didn't sell...most folks didn't like the gold roof and sills. So the end of the run had their roofs and sills repainted black and were sold as single colour cars. The Ross / Robinshaw book only lists black for the JPS. Does anyone know more about this...or I'm I getting befudled?!
I only collected the car today, and of course the easy answer is to scrape some paint off the roof...which will need to be done as the car was bought for total restoration...but all in good time. My dilema is, as a bit of an originality freak, if it is one of the painted-over cars (if they exist) I'm drawn to put it back to JPS colours...allthough it is not, strictly speaking, a JPS. If there isn't any gold there...then it's going to be YELLOW....I did enjoy reading the thead that contained the 'all Lotus should be Yellow' vs 'Too many Yellow Lotus' debate. The former is of course correct, with the possible exception of the JPS and Gold Leaf Elans!!
So guys, any thoughts?
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:42 pm

I gotta a JPS +2 (7306). Scrape a bit of paint off the sill (shows less) then you'll know. Local guy here in Bucks has researched what he can (he has a JPS 5spd) well known Lotus anorak, and has concluded from chassis nos that 86 were built in the 2 color way. With the gold flake 'in' the gelcoat as opposed to being sprayed 'on' it, easy enuff to check out. You got oatmeal inside ?
Bernie who posts on here has a JPS also. Among other +2's. Too much of a good thing ?? Jon.
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:42 am

Hmmm...doesn't look like a gold metalflake in the gelcoat..at least the half inch I took off the sill! It's definately black originally, which I guess may have been a special order colour? But if it was, the car was made in December '73 but not registered until August 74. Long wait for a special order! Or maybe he just wanted an 'N' Registration!!
It has got an oatmeal interior, which is in good condition apart from the driver seat and the carpets. Does anybody do a re-trim kit to original spec? I will definately be going to Stoneleigh to catch up on the Elan parts scene!! Many thanks...Mark Kempson
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:49 am

[....I did enjoy reading the thead that contained the 'all Lotus should be Yellow' vs 'Too many Yellow Lotus' debate. The former is of course correct, with the possible exception of the JPS and Gold Leaf Elans!!
So guys, any thoughts?[/quote]

I agree with the colour preferences

My plus 2 is yellow
My Elan is Gold Leaf
My Esprit is JPS ( as a type 79 should be)

the only colours to have. Though I do hanker after a 23B in Green with a yellow stripe !

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:09 pm

That is a perfect selection Rohan...but to complete it would have to be a Type 14 Elite in Primrose!!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:24 pm

Hi Mark,
The paint code is on the chassis plate but if you call up Lotus' technical department with your chassis number the guys there will tell you all about the car.
Does it have a silver stripe down the side?

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Hello Si
Just checked the chassis plate...it has the chassis number (73121934L) and the engine number, but no other numbers are 'scratched' onto the plate...where it says 'paint code'...nothing!
And yes it does have a silver stripe...how did you know that?!...Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:41 pm

Hi there,

If you call Dave or Chris at Group Lotus on 01953 608247 they'll be able to help you.
Did you buy it in Essex?

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:26 am

Thanks for those numbers Si, I'll get on to them. It sounds like you know the car...registration XYF 9 N,,,which is indeed an Essex lad! In fact, from the documentation that came with the car, and there is loads, it's lived in North East London area most of it's life, with a short spell in Petersfield in Hampshire...now it's retired to sunny Gloucestershire to be re-born!
I had been looking for a 5 speed for total restoration for a few months...seen many so-called restorations, which ranged from the horrendous to the needs-doing-all over-again! Did see some good ones, including that brown Plus 2 at Mattys, but couldn't live with that colour! I also went to see some cars that needed 'tlc' that were usually cobbled together insurance write-offs that needed scrapping.
This one seems to be totally original...even has the original chassis, and I can't see any evidence of it having been taken apart before or having had major sections grafted on. The gaps between the wheels and the arches are right (some 'restorations' I saw were nearly an inch different front-to-back!) and it sits straight and square. It's had some paint, some of which has micro-blistered, but as the car has been off the road for 10 years, any gel-coat problems or grafting problems should be evident.

So, Si, if you know any different, please let me know!!
I'm going to get it running before taking it apart, and build up the parts required and the knowledge of where to get what, especially in the areas of trim and paint. So I'll be posting a few more questions yet! And if I don't find gold on that roof...it's definately going to be YELLOW!!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:42 am

Hi Mark,

I too constantly scan the +2 ads looking for my perfect car. On reading your first posting I figured it had to be the one on eBay - particularly when you said you were an E-Type fan (was the Series 3 with the Jag V12 your favourite?). :wink:
I went down the same road - buying a completely unmolested S130/5 with a perfect interior, huge history file, good paintwork and a galvanised chassis and sills fitted by the last caring owner. I took it to bits, had everything powder-coated, comprehensive engine rebuild with Powermax pistons, gearbox rebuilt by Mick Miller's gearbox man, diff, propshaft balanced but soon I realised the standard I was aiming for - including repaint - would i) mean I wouldn't get behind the wheel for years and ii) I'd be ruined so I sold the engine and bought my yellow car which was a good compromise. I'll finish the other car one day.

You're welcome to visit next time you're in London - I have the two S130/5s and an Esprit and Berni29 who was mentioned earlier by Jon is my neighbour and has a collection of +2s. Weekends are often spent working on our cars.
Let us all know the original colour of your car once you've spoken to Lotus (they'll even tell you the name of the first owner) and good luck with getting it running.

Best wishes,
Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:41 am

Hello Si...What a relief! I thought you were going to tell me how it used to be your car and it needs a new shell, engine, gearbox and everything else! Buying the car from ebay was a bit of a punt, but in talking with the owner, who rebuilds engines for these and race cars, the car felt right. I've bought a few cars from ebay over the years and have never had a duff one and the folks selling have always been straight and honest. It does get adictive though!
I'm just finishing the restoration of 2 E Types...a '65 4.2 coupe and a 72 5.3 convertible...I like doing two cars at once! The '65 series one is more sports car than the V12, and being a coupe and a series 1 the prettiest car...but the V12 is in Primrose (!) and a great car to drive. They are both like a bigger Elans really, more solid on the road but less responsive. The big difference is that the V12 does about 6 to the gallon when you put your foot down...just as well petrol is so cheap, eh! The E and the Elan have a lot in common really...same era, same price when new, similar performance, each designed essentially by one man and both were light years ahead of the contemporary sports cars. Both were in production from the early 60's to the mid 70s, and both look fast even when standing still. This is why I really can't understand the low values of Elans, especially Plus 2s.
I am rationalising the Jags at the moment, with 16 of them, mainly XJR-S 6 litre cars and the early XJS pre-HEs, I've run out of room. The E Types are staying though! So the plan is to get down to a manageable number and get a couple more Lotii...I would buy a good running Plus 2 in Yellow tomorrow if I could find one!...and that is a good plan, to keep you going through the lows of the restoration process. If you hear of any do let me know.
I'm pretty sure that black was the original colour of this car...but I will find out for sure. Incidentally, have you seen that another all black car has just appeared on ebay? Think I'll ask him a few questions to find out how closely they are related!!
Which side of London are you? I spend a lot of time working in Bracknell...an easy drive up to town.
Cheers for now...Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:52 pm

Hi again,

I think you're very brave taking on a Plus Two total restoration. The endless expense of replacement parts, months of work modifying parts to make them fit together properly, and all for a spectacularly beautiful sportscar....which will have an end value representing a fraction of the time and money invested making you wonder why you didn't get one someone else had restored.
Well I think most of the people reading this will give a nod in recognition of the logic in this argument...and then go straight back to their garages to continue their restorations. You're in good company.

Another aspect shared by the +2 and series 2 and 3 E-Types is the rear light unit. I prefer the series 1 fixed head too.
I thought I'd set a record when I had seven cars around my neck to maintain but that's my place in the Guinness Book of Records well and truely usurped.
I'm in Beckenham, Kent (near Bromley). Send me a PM with your email address and I'll reply.

Congratulations on your purchase,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:35 am

This thing with the plus two being low value has always confused me...
The car is stunning to look at, fast and handles well. It lacks a soft top, but hey so has the MGBGT and yet the +2 costs less!
People are mad!
(mind you I don't complain too loudly as they are such good value for money!)
Cheers
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:58 am

Hi There

I have to say that Lotus yellow is still my favouite colour for a plus 2 as well. The colour of Simons car is a bit too "lively lemon" for me. I have a racing green one with green tinted glass and a black interior at the moment and that does look nice (especially at night under streetlighting). The JPS cars look good as well, although my personal preference is for one colour all over. And no sunfroof. I really dislike the sunroofs, the Webasto ones I mean.

All the best.......

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:20 am

Lively lemon? :shock: !
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: