Body production number?

PostPost by: Tintin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:56 am

Dear all,

I've been trying to find the body production number of the two shells I have - on both without success. The area where it is supposed to be is flat and solid on both shells. On is from 1969, the other one from 1974. The later one has been repaired in a shipyard before I was aware that this number exists and after sanding it down and repairing the cracks they apperently applied an additional layer of surface tissue. It might be that they closed any opening in this process - however also on the second one which seems unmolested in this area doesn't show a trace.

In Chris' thread about the original colour (hope you don't mind me referring to this pic)) there is clearly a recess. Is this always the case or was this changed on later shells. The 1969 is some 450 units "younger" so maybe there was a change in the procedure.

Tim
--
1964 Norton Atlas - 1974 Lotus 130/5
Parts falling of these vehicles are of the
finest british craftsmenship
Tintin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Good morning,

My car is was made in '69 as well and it does not have any trace of the production number either.

Cheers,
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:56 pm

engine bay aperture right side, looks like a dymo label set in the mold

written on the underside of the roof
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tintin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:25 pm

gus wrote:engine bay aperture right side, looks like a dymo label set in the mold

That's where I looked, no trace of this and definetaly no trace of a recess like clearly visible on Chris' picture - but bondo and paint my explain this. Maybe I have to look a little harder and with appropriate tools.

written on the underside of the roof

Both shells have a sunroof... ;)

The last four digits of the VIN where written on the inside of the 1974's doors but as I understood it the chances of the body no and the VIN being the same by coincidence are rather small - or not?

Tim
--
1964 Norton Atlas - 1974 Lotus 130/5
Parts falling of these vehicles are of the
finest british craftsmenship
Tintin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:10 pm

On mine it had been filled and painted over. With a little careful picking I managed to expose it. Perhaps yours was repainted by the same people.
Also found it on the inside of the door.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 pm

I've seen no evidence of the dymo number on my 73 +2S130/5 or remember seeing any in photos of it on a +2. My, none evidence based, opinion is that the dymo tape is a Elan thing not a +2, or at least not a late +2.

My car does have the unit num/last four digits written on the inside of the doors and I suspect other places. This ties to the VIN number of the VIN plate for the car.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:53 pm

My 70 +2S (fed) has the Dymo label body shell number in the location reported, for what that's worth. It even had the label itself embedded until I foolishly pulled it out years ago. That was before lotuselan.net. How did we manage? :wink:

edit: Also found in chalk, along with the word "WHITE", under the headliner and on various trim pieces.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJ908 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:58 am

If you look at the photo I have attached, you can see the body numbers written in the bumper recess. I took this photo back sometime early in 1969 when my car went back to the factory for some warranty remedial work. No one seem to be at all bothered when I produced my camera!
196904-22tww-elan-bodies-hethel.jpg and

I have also shown the body number detail on my car. Note that I have pulled the cable on the starter solenoid in order to show it more clearly.
20130321-4070ptw-dj908-build-number-detail.jpg and

I think that not only is inside the doors - as stated by others but even on the back of the glove box.

Robert
DJ908
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:16 am

it has been said elsewhere,, so forgive the repetition, but certainly for the early +2 shells each grp panel had the same shell number written either in chalk or hotwire on the reverse side.
the reason the chassis number is lower is quality control rejected a number of shells . by my estimate about 6.8% rejection rate based on fact my shell number is 784 and chassis number 734
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Lotus, reject parts?

That would imply quality control

I'm going to bet the majority got used in the end

SInce my body number some 1500 past yours is closer to the chassis number I would vote that they had a no rejects policy
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:53 am

Mine is a '69 +2S and, as no one has mentioned this on the thread, mine is also etched into the inside panel of the boot lid as well as all the other places mentioned here.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LotusArchives » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:30 pm

I have found on the Europas that their body numbers were filled, smoothed and painted over so it could well be the situation on Elan +2 also, so take a gentle sand in the area to see if the numbers expose themselves.
LotusArchives
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: