Complete Newbie

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:29 pm

Hi

I ran a plus 2 as an everyday all year round car for about 8 years and it was very reliable. A spot of maintenance every month or so fixing niggles, greasing the trunions checking donuts etc. I had a petrol powered engine pre heater which I used in winter. Upgrading the heater matrix is a worthwhile mod. For the car I am building now I am going to upgrade the heater box again, and go for one of these heated windscreens. In the UK you need it really, and although the upgraded heater works well, you just cannot get enough air on the screen to keep it clear in damp cold weather.

If they are well sorted Plus 2's make great everyday cars. If you leave them out all year round in the UK it will kill the paintwork eventually.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: storrar54 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:10 am

What exactly do you do to upgrade the heater? Change the matrix? if so to what and ? upgrade the blower as well?
Richard
storrar54
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:28 am

Hi

Once you have the heater box out.....which depending on whether you are planning a dashboard change will be OK or not........it is a matter of opening the box up by drilling some pop rivets and sliding out the old matrix, and sliding the new one in. I use a slightly shorter matrix from a fiesta so had to put a 1" or so bit of foam at the end. This time I will measure up for a sierra one. Also make sure that the fan motor is in good condition and that heater box itself does not leak air. Get the hoses to the screen airtight as well. I did not look into changing the motor, as the standard one goes quite well.

I will be doing the job in the next couple of months, and wll post pictures up.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Zorvak » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:51 pm

Hello all, I am a newbie here also - I did actually register a while back, but am now (finally) strongly considering buying a +2........have a few very basic questions and would be interested in hearing peoples opinions....

Basically I have always loved classic cars, my first car was a spitfire which i sold a couple of years ago, and am now thinking about a spyder zetec +2. i don't think i know my way round a car well enough to consider doing the work and i don't have a garage/the time, so it would have to be me exchanging cash for the finished article. it would be mine and my girlf's only car, i was wondering if anyone on here has one and would reccomend it as firstly a daily driver(they should do i hope) and secondly if it i get one it won't have the luxury of a garage.....will the bodywork start to look tatty after a few years rain sleet snow, pigeon poo etc..??

Would appreciate also any thoughts in general on the zetec....i know i should really go authentic and get a "proper" one, but having driven a modern car for the last 2 or 3 years, i appreciate some little creature comforts (like not breaking down on the north circular road during rush hour!)
Zorvak
New-tral

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:54 pm

Hi

I found that really cold damp winters (all of them then!) can bring out some osmosis if the car is left outside. Like I said I used a standard car everyday with no problems, but if you buy a ropey one and expect to do the same thing then you will need some luck on your side. As far as the Zetecs go my personal opinion is that they are great. The only thing that I do not like is that the wheels stick out too far and they somehow sit "not quite right", maybe too high, cannot put my finger on it. I like the idea of a zetec engined car with standard suspension and wheels. If I do one myself I will strengthen a standard chassis and use that as a base. If I had the cash spare I would buy the spyder chassis, but still use standard suspension. Also to save money I would do an 1800 and use re-jetted 40 webbers.

I think that if you are going to have one of these cars it helps to be able to use a spannner.

All the best
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Zorvak » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:38 pm

What is osmosis??!!?

it's not that i'm overly useless with a spanner it's just that i'd never get time to do anything what with my hectic social diary etc.... which is why it makes more sense for me to get a fully zetecced up beast so i won't be given the opportunity to faff around under the bonnet......i've done my bit with classic cars with the spitfire...my accidental swig of brake fluid has helped convince me that fixing mechanical bits and bobs is not the way forward

i do agree it looks a bit awkward, not horrific, but not as sharp as a normal car, definitely. i always thought it was something to do with the photos having really bright brand spanking new minilites......
Zorvak
New-tral

PostPost by: niallf » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:23 pm

Osmosis is the passage of water from a region of high water concentration through a semi-permeable membrane to a region of low water concentration.

In Lotus terms it's what causes the paint to blister even though the car's never seen any rain. Personally, I think it's a fact of life for older elans and wouldn't worry unduly about an Elan with slightly 'pimply' paint.

I think Bernie's comment about the strange look of Spyder Zetec Elans is fair. Wheel track is slightly increased, I think, but largely width is down to 185/55 14" tyres, which are much wider and lower profile than the original 155 13" ones. Spyder initially used SPAX dampers, and they've changed to other types now. Andy would tell you that the Spyder Cars are within Lotus tolerances for ride height and clearance. When my Spyder +2 eventually moves under its own steam, I may well look at 1" shorter springs, as I think it doesn't look as nice as the original lines.

Still only the dodgy running, bonnet, headlamps and doors to sort out and mine's finished.

Niall.
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: