Dashboard replacement

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:03 pm

I?ve just about stripped everything out of my old dashboard, currently the bonnet release cable is putting up a fight but it?ll lose in the end! I notice that there are what look like steel sleeves in each of the securing bolt holes in the old dash, are these supposed to be bonded in or to be loose?
The rest looks fairly straightforward, just need to order some small brass screws as the slots in the originals are not too good by the time I?d got them out and the glove box is very tatty so I?ll try people such as Sue Miller to see what they have in the way of replacements.
Attachments
772ddf2a-bbef-4102-bf6b-bf809890d822.jpeg and
Old and new dashboards
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 pm

I dont think the inserts were bonded in, the ones I have seen were a tight push in fit.
They have ridges on them to prevent turning in the wood so I dont think glue would be necessary.
Attachments
insert-1-copy.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:14 am

Bigbaldybloke wrote: <snip> the glove box is very tatty so I?ll try people such as Sue Miller to see what they have in the way of replacements.

When I was fitting my replacement dash two years ago, I made up a 'drop down' glovebox to give access behind the dash. Paid for itself recently when the oil gauge pressure line had to be replaced. I also replaced the constantly jamming locking unit with a simple magnetic catch :)
Attachments
p7190107.jpg and
pa030096.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 am

I think Sue does a new glove box in millboard

Are you fitting a new dash harness?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:32 pm

A bit of a problem, the glove box lid and radio blank had been taped in place using masking tape, after 20+ years behind the wardrobe, the tape has become brittle and the glue very sticky and on trying to peal the tape off it has left a residue of glue on the dashboard and some small bits of tape that are well stuck.
Suggestions wanted as to what to use to remove the glue without damaging the polish on the veneer.
Attachments
c70eb3fc-419d-4685-b6db-0f56b7495c97.jpeg and
Remains of tape that won?t peel off.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:53 pm

In reply to Jono, no I?m not fitting a new dashboard harness but will be modifying and rebinding the original to include for changing to an alternator and voltmeter instead of an ammeter, an electric oil pressure gauge, a solenoid to operate the vacuum for the headlights and a DAB radio, plus an electric windscreen washer pump, and a switch for the spotlights by the front air intake. Might include an override switch to force the radiator electric fans on too. Probably won?t include the anti theft switch in the glove box, but might put a better quality switch elsewhere.
Attachments
cc56f910-1997-4fd5-89a5-81958bc1f9cb.jpeg and
Old dashboard harness, looks worse than it is!
Last edited by Bigbaldybloke on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 pm

Bigbaldybloke wrote:A bit of a problem, the glove box lid and radio blank had been taped in place using masking tape, after 20+ years behind the wardrobe, the tape has become brittle and the glue very sticky and on trying to peal the tape off it has left a residue of glue on the dashboard and some small bits of tape that are well stuck.
Suggestions wanted as to what to use to remove the glue without damaging the polish on the veneer.

White spirit ! Don't use thinners ! :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Foxie wrote:
Bigbaldybloke wrote:A bit of a problem, the glove box lid and radio blank had been taped in place using masking tape, after 20+ years behind the wardrobe, the tape has become brittle and the glue very sticky and on trying to peal the tape off it has left a residue of glue on the dashboard and some small bits of tape that are well stuck.

White spirit ! Don't use thinners ! :)

Lighter fluid. If you ever go into an old vinyl record shop, you'll always find they have cans of it - it dissolves the glue on labels without damaging the covers, or leaving any residue.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:40 pm

I suggest "Sticky Stuff Remover", a proprietary product.

Removes all types of sticky gunk. If it doesn't shift your residue, you'll find a dozen other uses for it. Brilliant stuff.

Try on an inconspicuous patch first.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:53 am

+1 for lighter fluid - used for donkeys years in design companies to de-sticky anything!

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:19 pm

The steel sleeves are a push fit & can be removed but I think you have to push them out from the back side. I removed mine when I re-veneered my dash then pressed them back in after finishing the dash.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanks for all the advice, lighter fluid, paper towels and lots of elbow grease has got the dash looking great.
Next problem I noticed while doing this is that a couple of holes are missing in the new dash, the top left securing bolt hole and the hole for the bonnet release.
What?s the best type of drill for drilling the holes, a metal drill or one of the flat type wood drills or one of the very old type wooden drills that have the little screw in the centre and the normal spiral flutes? Plus drill from the back or front and any other suggestions. I?m tempted to clamp a block of wood to the front of where I need to drill with g-clamps and drill from the back using a new sharp flat type wood drill, anyone done this?
I?ve also laid out the dashboard wiring harness and the wires all look in good condition and are still flexible with no apparent cracks in the insulation. The connectors all look a bit discoloured, but are well crimped and secure. The bullet connectors all look to have light surface corrosion, but nothing that some sort of clean wouldn?t shift, has anyone tried this, what?s the best way of doing this?
Attachments
5fe340af-60c9-43c0-bdaa-aafe3fe8af4a.jpeg and
Nice shiny dash with no sticky tape!
5097eb53-48b6-439c-95f4-5a0ee4b132ac.jpeg and
LHS of dash showing missing securing hole
9cb5bd93-dcd9-4343-89be-be2e51c13036.jpeg and
RHS of dash showing missing bonnet catch hole
21e81c00-2e1a-4c63-b694-d43370c9a710.jpeg and
Dash harness laid out
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Don't try to drill the varnish, it'll probably crack.

I would use a grinding tip on a Dremel to get through the varnish, then a normal twist drill through the the wood. Put some varnish in the hole to seal it.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:47 pm

I think that I would do exactly as you described, preferably using a Forstner bit
bit-a.jpg
bit-a.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 915 times

or the flat blade wood bit that has the center v and the outboard cutting surfaces.
milwaukee-spade-bits-48-27-0751-64_1000.jpg and

I would also put masking tape on the veneer side along with your backing block. Go slow enough so that only the center point and outside cutters exit on that side then back out.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 pm

+1 On the Forstner drill.

And wow, Triple-B, that's some gorgeous veneer!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: