Lotus Elan

Early +2 steering column.

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue May 16, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm finally rebuilding my Plus 2 chassis no. 50/0143 after 30 years off the road, a couple of house moves and a couple of false starts. Some bits seem to have gone astray and for some my memory and the manuals are not 100% clear. The area I'm working on now is the brake pedal box and steering column and handbrake. Does anyone have pictures of how the pedal box and column supports inside the car fit in, showing the mounting brackets for the column and handbrake in particular. The original pedal box was missing so I have obtained a later type plus a strengthening plate for inside the car from Spyder, and have made an adaptor plate to enable the later pedal box to be fitted. I have the original steering column and what looks like one support bracket but it's not clear if I have everything and how it all goes together hence the request for photos if anyone has them
Thanks
Bigbaldybloke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed May 17, 2017 4:20 pm

this is a picture I posted some time ago http://images.lotuselan.net/lel/6381/0/bracket.JPG. I would not claim that this is the original set up as there is a bill in the history for a replacement pedal box..
Let me know if you need anything more specific .

Brian.
ncm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed May 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks Brian, I'll have a trial fit of the column and handbrake tomorrow, there are some brackets in amongst one of my box of bits that look similar.
Simon
Bigbaldybloke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for the info and photo, column now installed and the car has working steering for the first time this century! Handbrake trial fitted and final mounting brackets in production. Pedal box now fully installed and piped in too.
Bigbaldybloke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:56 am

Although I have fitted the steering column, I'm now having second thoughts as to whether it's in the right position. I have the solid one piece column so the inner column is fixed once it is attached to the rack, but the outer column can be slid up or down the inner column over a range of several inches. Should it be hard up against the back of the steering wheel boss, slid right down so that the bottom bush is just on the large diameter part of the shaft or somewhere in between. If I had the column surround that might be a guide, but at the moment it's one of my missing items. Currently I've set it sort of mid way as there are some fine splines / serrations on the shaft just below the steering wheel boss so I've assumed these should not be in the top column bush as they would wear it?
Any pictures or measurements would be really useful if anyone has them.
Thanks
Bigbaldybloke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:26 pm

I just set the clearance on a later two piece column yesterday. I set mine with just enough clearance so the wheel will not rub on the indicator/light stalk covers.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Tread softly in the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon
prezoom
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Simon, on my car the outer column is set towards the lower end of the inner shaft. I would have thought that the correct position will be dictated by the indicator/dip switch position relative to the hole in the shroud, that in turn being positioned by the available space between the dash and steering wheel boss..see below.

Brian.
Attachments
p6130229.jpg and
p6130227.jpg and
p6130223.jpg and
p6130220.jpg and
p6130219.jpg and
ncm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks Brian, with those dimensions and by fitting the indicator switch I can work out where to put the outer column. Without the column surround it was difficult but with the dimensions from your photos I can now finish this task, just need to locate a new or good used column surround now!
Thanks
Simon
Bigbaldybloke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:02 pm

If you need the felt top bush for the steering column, I still have one or two available.

They are larger than required, and have to be cut down on two sides to fit.

PM me if you would like one.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Early Cortina/Corsair :wink:

Brian.
ncm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Currently I've set it sort of mid way as there are some fine splines / serrations on the shaft just below the steering wheel boss
Back again..Something else you will need to look for in your boxes of bits is the indicator cancelling cam that fits on the splines below the steering wheel boss.

From memory it is a black plastic ring..

Brian.
ncm
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: