Elan+2 Newbie

PostPost by: Burton4130 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Hello

I'am now the proud owner of an Elan+2 Convertible, which has been owned by my Father for the past 30 years.
The car seems to be running fairly well, although it has its niggles as I'd expect from a car that's 50 years old and has spent over a decade being barely used.

The Oil pressure gauge isn't working, although my Dad added in a small in series adjustable type...?
It seems to purge a little coolant out of the overflow tube if idling for 5 minutes or so?
The throttle pedal is rather stiff which is odd to use when driving but I'm sure I could get used to it.
The paint work is very tired and is suffering from microbubbles on virtually every panel.

I look forward to learning more about the car and figuring out how to make it more driver friendly.

Cheers
Russell
Burton4130
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Welcome, we love to see pictures by the way.
Would be interested to know which variant of the +2 this car is converted from (doors, dashboard, windscreen, exhaust silencer are all good clues to this)..
is there a collection (recuperator) bottle attached to the coolant overflow ?

Adrian
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Burton4130 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi Adrian, unfortunately I was unable to add pictures... I use my phone and although I added a picture file from my phone, it didn't attach?

It doesn't have a overflow or collection bottle for the radiator but I intend on fitting one.

I know it's a big valve Nov 1968 car...

Cheers Russell
Burton4130
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Welcome to the crew, Russell..

Stiff throttle cable: Check it's routed correctly. If you have Dellortos it goes in an arc from the pedal to the carbs. It'll probably break and strand you soon - I'd take it out (easy to do) and oil it. If it does fail it's not expensive to replace.

Coolant purge: There's supposed to be a bottle with a tube going from the little tube in the filler neck (under the radiator cap) to the bottom of the bottle. When the engine gets hot, water is forced past the cap by expansion pressure into the bottle. As the engine cools down, this water is sucked back into the radiator. Another easy fix.

Paint: The main issue. Expensive to put right properly, but you can do some of the work yourself. Should be combined with a body off restoration, really. But I'd enjoy the car for a while first!

Where are you located?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:29 pm

hi Russell!
suspect you have a siezed throttle pedal . it's common enough for a car that's been standing that long in dreech weather .
There is a shaft that runs through all the pedals and you can see it poke through the pedal box side if you look under the bonnet.
If you operate the throttle (or any pedal for that matter ) the shaft should remain still . if the shaft is seen to rotate then try lubricating the bushes from the driver's footwell . Good luck!
I'm afraid to say that there is the possibility you may have to remove the pedal box from the car , dismantle and apply heat to the shaft to remove the pedals if they are really bad .... this has to be without doubt one of the most awful jobs to do on a plus two ! However , with he pedal box off it's a lot easier to dismantle / service the clutch and brake master cylinders & they'll almost certainly need redoing :wink:
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:30 pm

p.s . check what you have as big valve engines weren't around in november 1968 .. :shock:
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:34 pm

pps . november '68 cars didn't have an overflow bottle AFAIK . mine never has.
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm

My November 1967 car has a recuperation bottle, well it did when I bought it in 1977 and the previous owner only neglected it so I can?t imgine he added it so I suspect it was there from day one.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Burton4130 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 pm

It has twin Webbers but I'll check the cables free play

I'll look into an expansion bottle, unless anyone has any particular places to look?

It's had a new galvanised Lotus chassis but i'am unsure how long ago. Paint finish isn't key for me but one day... Truth be told although I waited many years for this day, I think I'd prefer an Elise.

I'll need to enquire as to what engine she has?

Brake and clutch master cylinders are new, although when I say new, I mean they're 5-10yrs old lol!

I'am based in Scotland, which is where the car was originally sold I believe, due to the JES registration?

Cheers
Russell
Burton4130
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Burton4130 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:09 pm

I've just been informed that Big valves and an L1 cam set were fitted before my Dad bought her.

It just keeps giving lol
Burton4130
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Owning both ( +2 (project) and Elise).. they are both brilliant, the plus2 quite a bit roomier, so more ideal for touring.
Once you upload your picture from your phone documents or similar, you have to add the file, then place it in line... Maybe not fully intuitive but worth figuring out...
My mid 68 has the overflow bottle.. in front of rad under air filter trunking.. looks similar to a washer bottle.
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Welcome Russell!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your car!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Burton4130 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 am

img_20181010_213540_013.jpg and
Burton4130
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Burton4130 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:45 am

Excellent wotsisnane, cheers
Burton4130
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Rich135 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 am

Hi Russell

I saw your car on instagram a day or so ago, it looks really great, and lovely that you have been passed it from your father.

My throttle peddle was stiff when I first got my car, almost jolty when pressing it, so it was not smooth to accelerate. I just replaced the whole cable (bought online very reasonably) and it fixed it straight away, such a pleasure to drive afterwards, and very easy to do - 20 mins.

So maybe try that, as the cable has probably rusted away a little inside the outer liner.

I will keep an eye on instagram and here for updates :-)

Rich
Rich135
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: