Lotus Elan

Enjoying my Lotus at last

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 pm

Rather than start a new post i thought id keep things here,

Im looking for a go-too place to take my head too. Heres the deal, i know from my dyno print out that my power drops off about 6k. I can see from the ecu that my max rpm reached is just over 6100rpm.
I have the 4 speed box and 3.54 diff and while 4th gear cruising is great for fuel economy i have to change down to get any major form of pick up to overtake. I have the SE tubular exhaust so cant see exhaust as being restrictive. Air filters arent to deep as Alan rightly points out previously. No trumpets in there.

So im looking for a bit more performance across the board. Im looking at the archives including answers to my previous questions,being retired means i can now do things,
Im looking at 280° duration as max, which brings in a few choices of cams. Im looking at the ph5 443 lift option from Newman cams which is very much the same as QEDs offering in 440. And more lift than the 420 which says its 419.
At just over £400 its cheaper too.

Im not sure i want to get the off the shelf QED 420. I want something different,and as the springs appear to be the weak link id want to fit stronger (so i may as well change cams too)

Anyone got any ideas or good experience with a package they can point me towards.

End result is for more torque and more usable revs.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Paul, did you fix the knocking coming from the rear?

I had that and found an outer driveshaft with a trough all round it where the outer bearing located. Couldn't tell it was like that with the normal pull/push/rocking test on the wheel with the car on the ground. In fact I only spotted it after putting it on stands (I was looking for play in the bushes at the time).
1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Chassis 50/1115L
JonB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Yes i got that sorted. A loose center lock. I took both wheels off to check it all and try to find loose items, in the process i found it was a few turns loose. All sorted. Sorted the coolant too, had a length of spare hose so i by passed the heater matrix. Need propper hoses which ill do when engine comes out in warmer weather.
( read as when garage is tidy to put engine in)
As it happens ill fit poly bushes all round and new suspension when i can afford too.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: