Fitting a second radio - locations?

PostPost by: Iyarno » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Being lucky enough to have a working Turnolock radio, I'm keen to keep it fitted to the dashboard and I don't want to go to the expense of having it 'modernised'.

So I'm trying to work out where to locate a second head unit which is both reachable and hidden at the same time.

My first thoughts are to create some kind of shelf which hangs below the passenger footwell. There's plenty of space here but I'm not sure where to attach anything to.

Other thoughts I've had include the boot, under the front seats or atttached vertically in the footwell somehow.

Does anyone have second radio fitted? Any thoughts, ideas and photos greatly appreciated.

Ian
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Have a look for secret audio. It has a separate display and tuner so you could have the display hidden up front and the tuner anywhere in the car.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Get one of these. or similar
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Mini-Car- ... SRZkoaWzDA

Stick it in the boot with an on/off switch in the dash then play your favourite tunes from your favourite device via bluetooth.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Had a look at secret audio but it seems to be a slightly more advanced version of a steering wheel remote.

Like the amp, I have a decent amp already I could use but no Bluetooth built in. The issue I have with amps is a lack of tone control over the audio and general finesse. Whenever something gets plugged in I get an alarming pop.

I've also seen the Outofsightaudio.com boxes which are essentially just Bluetooth amps but they are in a different price bracket. Not sure why....
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Iyarno wrote:Had a look at secret audio but it seems to be a slightly more advanced version of a steering wheel remote....

Ian, I installed Secret Audio SST, which is the model with the small dash mounted control head. The model that sounds like it would suit you is the Secret Audio SRMS.

The SRMS is completely controlled from the wireless remote. Based on the RF remote that came with my SST, it should wotk very well and not be bothered by mounting the main unit under the boot floor. I believe the remote has a screen that would assist with any settings and adjustments, iPod search, etc. a negates the need for any cutting to the car interior.

I found there was lots of room under the Plus 2 boot floor (right side) for both the Secret Audio main box and a large Kenwood amp. Wiring direct to the battery is easy, would be even easier with the SRMS model as no need to run the control wire forward.

I mounted new large speakers in the footwells; there is tons of room in to the plenum formed by the fender and rocker rail. I also mounted new speakers at the stock parcel shelf locations. I suppose you could use just the front speakers with the Secret Audio and you would be able to leave your Turnolock connected to the rear speakers.

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/secret ... ystem.html

The remote can be fitted in the glove box when not needed.

Looks like they have added Bluetooth; my model is a few years old and did not have this feature.

I posted some pics and provide info here...

lotus-electrical-f38/hidden-ipod-satellite-usb-stereo-radio-controller-system-t24878.html

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:00 am

There is a space usually used by mice in restoration projects..

That fibreglass/trimmed panel in the rear which hides your seat belt reels and forms the rear arm rests...There is a perfect space behind it for a concealed unit. I put my amp in there.

I used to use the glove box but I wanted to keep that for chewing gum... chocolate...sweets.... receipts... bulbs...
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Bluetooth is not essential to take advantage of the radio/cd player most of us carry in our pocket these days. All you need is a stereo phone jack connected to your amplifier input. Bluetooth is simply a bit more flexible. And storage for a large pile of favorite tunes comes free. 8)
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TonyJ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Fitted cradle for one in the passenger footwell bolted into the engine bay. Used mastic to waterproof bolts. Used remote to work it. Can't see it from outside and still lots of space for passengers feet. All the bits easily bought from Halfords. Also easily upgraded/removed.

Tony
TonyJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: