Lotus Elan

Ford Crossflow bottom end question

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:15 am

I have been looking for a plus 2 to export to the US and have received a bunch of good advice from those on the forum - thank you.

I have found a good candidate for my project and during the due diligence process identified that the car doesn't have the original motor (nor chassis) which isn't a major issue for me, but that it does have a Ford Crossflow block rather than a Lotus block and that the resulting capacity of the engine is 1660 rather than the original Lotus one.

Absent the issue of originality, which frankly isn't a major issue to me, is there anything that I should be concerned in respect to this topic - is it a consideration in the pricing equation?

My inclination is that while it might have some consideration at the higher end of market prices, in the mid teens pricing of cars with Spyder chassis already, it probably doesn't have much impact.

Any thoughts or guidance on the topic?

Thx

Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
nwbaxter66
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:37 am

I don't think it make much difference. The 711M bottom end usually selected for a larger cc twin-cam rebuild.

I built a QED SS spec motor using 420S cams and, 711M crank and rods, to bring it to 1700cc its ` 145bhp and good torque. I think anything that raises torque in Plus 2 is a good thing. A friend recently installed an Zetec in his Plus 2 with very good results.

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:21 am

In general a bigger capacity engine for a Plus 2 is good and should not greatly affect the value if at all, while significantly improving the driving pleasure. I would want to check how the1600 block has been fitted and the differences allowed for.

i.e
What rods and pistons fitted and how much if any has the block has been decked
what front cover and / or spacer has been fitted
has a longer chain tensioner arm been fitted
what compression ratio
how have the wider engine mount bosses been allowed for
How has the taller engine been lowered to clear the bonnet

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear