Just got my first Lotus elan +2. Where do I get parts from

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:13 pm

I think you're right Niall. I believe there was also an ignition cut-off in the +2S which bit the dust along with the under door puddle lights. Engine lighting moved from the inner wing to overhead under the bonnet but this was probably phased in and there will be some crossover cars.
All the +2S 130s came with a silver roof - the metalflake was sprinkled onto the first layer of gel in the moulds before laying the matting. I read that some +2S shells which were sitting around at the factory had a retrospective silver roof treatment to shift them as S130s.

Regards,
Simon
(who may also be talking rubbish)
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Thanks for the advice so far :)

I have spent alot of time on the car now ...(yes ive only had it 5 days !)

With no oil pressure, needing parts and paulmatty's parts departments telling me (you will have to get that part fabricated !.....yikes) and having parts missing that im not even sure what they look like, my week has been a bit up and down.

Thankfully theres great reading here thats has helped me fix alot of problems.I have just 1 quick problem .. on striping out the cabin for deep cleaning ! each side of the back seats is a panel and at the top there is like a fixing screw,its got a little lotus badge on it, I need to get it out to remove my panels but they just keep turning are they screws or clips or what ?

Matt

http://82.133.99.86/lotus/
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: masermartin » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Obviously the 130 had performance advantage over the other two, but does the S have any performance advantages over the the standard +2?
masermartin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:40 pm

Hi Matt,
It's a coach bolt like the dashboard ones but Lotus drilled down the top and fitted in their badge losing the cross head groove. It doubles as the securing bolt for the panel and a coat hook.
This is what you do:-
i) Remove the extractor vent grill on the bodywork and inside the recess up high you'll see the nut which screws on to it.
ii) Undo it if you can using a 13mm? spanner and gripping the other end inside the car. Chances are it will have rusted on and you'll risk scoring the coathook with the mole grips or whatever you are using to hold it. I ended up dremeling (made a new verb!) the nut off carefully with the Dremel flexidrive extension. Best of luck.
Oh yes, I believe these are now available again - I've got the first pair, speak to Don in Chris Neil's parts dept on 0161 41481. I can send you a photo if you like.

Best wishes,
Simon

Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:03 pm

The coat hook bolts come with the chrome spacers, washers, Lotus badge et al.

Does the S have any performance advantage over the standard +2?
On Webers both the +2 and +2S are rated at 118bhp @ 6,250 rpm. However a +2 tested in 1967 by Motor magazine had a kerb weight with fuel for 50 miles of 1,882 lb whereas the Lotus spec sheet for the +2S gives the weight as being 'from 2,086 lb' so possibly the +2 was a little quicker.

Regards,

Simon
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: masermartin » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:41 pm

Thank you so much for the info. :)
masermartin
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: