Last Year Plus 2 was imported into United States

PostPost by: lotus looker » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Seriously looking to buy a Lotus Elan Plus 2 here "Across the Pond" in the United States.

Was informed the LAST year that the Plus 2 was imported into the United States was 1972.

Is this correct, or is someone pulling on my "Twig & Berries??!!...THANKS!!!...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't know the answer but it quite possible. Lotus producing cars that meet with the latest federal requirements has always been a little hit and miss (look at the evora next year).

I think there may have been a significant changes in fed regs around 72 that could render the +2 none compliant.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:14 pm

evap canisters started in 71, as did I think NOx rules

bumpers started in 74

I don't think there were any changes in 72

I am pretty sure there are 73 cars here, but no real 74 cars
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 pm

1972 was the last year for Federal +2's

Lotus Elan and Elan Plus 2's have always had bumpers

There was at least one change in '72. The back seat upright/back support was fixed in '72, OR, another explanation.....no pull down shelf on the back seat. '71 was supposed to be the last year but as I learn more, anything goes with Lotus. Also, the fuse panel was moved to the dash in '72. It sits dead center behind an adorable little door.

If the information is not correct...........blame the Brits..............that's where I got it
If I have made errors then correct me, or, "call me names, that is what some of the apparatchik do here"
Last edited by cal44 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Mark, '72 sounds reasonable to me as well. I don't recall we got any five speed models here in Canada, although could be mistaken. Robinshaw & Ross list 72/10 for introduction of the five speed, and it is the last running change listed.

One thing to keep in mind while looking. My car has a '69 build date, but I think the registration is '71 (been a while since I looked). Quite possible to have cars with registration date later than '72. With the car VIN folks here can generally tell you the approximate build date. Really only becomes confusing when trying to nail down wiring and other running changes to the Plus 2.

Cal, I think the '74 bumper reference was to the introduction of various 2.5 / 5 mph crash test standards, which I assume ended the Elan in NA?

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:03 am

Stu,
I was just givin' ol Gus a hard time :wink:
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:33 am

Appreciate all the thoughtful inputs & information.

The primary reason I asked was because of a 1972 Plus 2 listed for sale on craigslist.

the seller listed the Plus 2 as " The last 1972 Plus 2 imported into the United States as 1972 was the last year that Lotus Plus 2 was imported".

I found this rather a BOLD STATEMENT!!!, & wanted to inquire as to the actual FACT/S.

Car was listed for $12,000.00 USD, SOLD in "1" day!....MISSED ANOTHER Plus 2 !!!...

Seems I've "Lost the Plot" looking for a Plus 2 to buy..."Bloody Hell"...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:44 am

stugilmour wrote:Mark, '72 sounds reasonable to me as well. I don't recall we got any five speed models here in Canada, although could be mistaken. Robinshaw & Ross list 72/10 for introduction of the five speed, and it is the last running change listed.

One thing to keep in mind while looking. My car has a '69 build date, but I think the registration is '71 (been a while since I looked). Quite possible to have cars with registration date later than '72. With the car VIN folks here can generally tell you the approximate build date. Really only becomes confusing when trying to nail down wiring and other running changes to the Plus 2.

Cal, I think the '74 bumper reference was to the introduction of various 2.5 / 5 mph crash test standards, which I assume ended the Elan in NA?

Stu
Hello Stu; Appreciate your insight.

I know for a FACT that here in California the 1973 2.5/5 mph affected a Great majority of car's appearances, especially import cars. Lamborghinis & Maseratis to name just a couple.

I have a 1972 DeTomaso Pantera with the chrome bumperettes, in 1973 the Pantera was mandated to change to the 2.5/5 mph impact bumpers, for "myself" it lessened the appeal/look of the Pantera for myself...Mark

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1970- ... Top-st.jpg

http://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/19231 ... .jpg?rev=1
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:46 am

Oh, yeah. Excellent comparison pix, Mark. The Pantera did, however, come off better than the MGB :wink:

Pantera is beautiful regardless of bumpers, though. :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:07 am

Sea Ranch wrote:Oh, yeah. Excellent comparison pix, Mark. The Pantera did, however, come off better than the MGB :wink:

Pantera is beautiful regardless of bumpers, though. :mrgreen:

Randy
The Maserati Bora SUFFERED!!!..Mark

First picture is 1972

http://mycarquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/61.jpg

Second of 1974...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 4.9_US.jpg
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 am

The elan registry doesn't show any federal +2 (N build code) with build date after 72 or any federal 5 speeds.

Not conclusive but a good indication 72 was the last year. Could be last federal car imported, compare the vin to one's on the registry to see if that is possible.

Certainly not the newest +2 in the US thou. Later uk model imports like mine here.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 am

The final federal Plus 2 130S was unit no. 0315N. It came off the production line in 1972, around September/October, though I am unaware of the verified month. However, like a lot of Federal cars, it was not registered until 1973.

It is my belief that no new Plus 2S 130/5 cars were exported by the factory to North America. I have seen no records of N type Plus 2s with the 5 speed box, the date above was prior to the introduction of the 5 speed box and Type Approval would probably have been prohibitively expensive anyway.

Having said that, I do know there are several Plus 2S 130/5's knocking around in North America, though they must all be imported M or L type Plus 2s, or have been subsequently converted.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: clgarner53 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:49 pm

I have a 70 elan plus two for sale. it's ready for paint having been soda blasted. Perfect interior, 38K miles, engine out, ready for reassembly. Car is in New Jersey.

Cliff

[email protected]

201-572-8279
clgarner53
New-tral

Total Online: