Late S screen

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:22 am

Hi all, has anyone used the SJ Sportscars fitting for the late model S cars? They reckon the early cars have a rubber and chrome trim which bonds in which they also supply, but the later cars, 74 on only have a plastic chrome trim and no rubber at all, which holds the screen (part no SJ603) and this bonds straight to the car as a modern car does. Two corners are then supplied (part no SJ556) to finish the job. Out of interest, our new screen does sit in the recess where you would expect a new type car screen to fit, rather than leaving space for any rubber. Just interested if anyone has used these parts before purchase.
Cheers, Rob
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Further to the post. I have now confirmed with Lotus this is the correct screen fitting trim and that the screen does bond straight to the car with no additional rubber using a modern adhesive. If anyone has any interest I can post a photo record of the fitting process when we eventually get round to fitting it.

Soon be spring and we can get out in our cars.
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Whenever the bonded in front screen on my +2 and Europa have needed changing, I have left it to the experts (Lotus Cars and Morland Jones). I'm sure readers will be interested to see how you get on. I believe it's tricky to get it right. You'll need to take care with the plastic trim too which can wrinkle in the top corners. Probably best to do this job on a warm day. I haven't looked to see if there is a thread on this but check first to avoid any pitfalls. Jim
Last edited by JimE on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Jasper

I too would like to see this method of fitting the screen in photo views

Thanks in anticipation
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Not too many photos, but this post by Dougal describes the process and materials he used. It's the best info I've seen posted. Now a good YouTube video would be most helpful either as a how to or a how not to guide. Want to give it a go?

lotus-chassis-f36/bonded-windscreen-t35507.html#p243025
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:03 pm

We've done plenty of modern bond in screens on resto's so I think we will have a go with this once we get started with it. I know in the old days of plastic Mini trim round the arches and roof, we used to use hot water to soak the plastic before fitting. In these days of heat guns etc. these may be a better option for the curves without wrinkles? We will see shortly. In the meantime will have a look at the suggested posts. Many thanks for your info.
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:25 pm

Rob,
I have just finished installing the bonded screen on my elan+2 130/5. It is a horrible messy job and nothing like a modern bonded screen fitting. The plastic trim has to be bonded to the screen first and preventing crinkles in the top corners is not easy (I have them). The process is much easier if you can heat your workshop to heatwave levels because the plastic becomes much easier to bend. Don't use a heat gun, just a hairdryer. The corner pieces supplied by PM are not the correct profile and have to be 'fettled' which is harder than it sounds. With the trim on it's not a simple task to get the screen central in the body and ensure it contacts the bonding agent all round. I pulled my screen in using ratchet straps with protection where they contact the surround. I intend to inject bonding agent fron inside the car to ensure it is waterproof.
Good luck
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: