Lotus Elan

Looking for Elan+2

PostPost by: richardl46 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:42 am

Having just sold a Lotus Seven S4 t/c, I'm actively seeking a +2. A preferences would be a light colour (yellow/silver) and a later model such as the 130/4. Price range £15-£20k depending upon condition. Not much for sale up in the East Midlands so any viewing quite a long treck.

One car I saw advertised claimed 126 bhp at the wheels. Assuming this must be circa 150 bhp at the flywheel is it likely to be a somewhat intractable car in traffic? I am now an age when usability is more important than peaky power.

Am I better waiting until later in the year to get good value?

I used this site for information when rebuilding the Seven's engine and was very impressed with the advice available.

Thanks, Richard
richardl46
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:06 am

I would say having owned 3 different +2s that a +2S130/4 is a good choice but also the +2S130/5. The o/drive 5th would be more relaxed on "A" roads or Motorways. The ex Maxi 5 speed can be modified to be reliable.
After your Lotus Seven there is a very big difference, the +2 is 900kgs.
I would suggest a budget of £20,000+ and a car with a Lotus Galvanised Chassis.
Good hunting
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:39 pm

YHM
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardl46 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks for the response Alan.

I perhaps need to raise my budget a little,as the 130/5 sounds the better spec for the use I have in mind. It really depends what turns up and how much it takes in time and money to put right.

Regards, Richard
richardl46
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:14 am

I used to own a +2S130 and a Sprint at the same time. So same Engine but 200kgs differance . The Sprint is much faster but i prefered the +2 for roadholding, both in original trim. It depends what you are looking for.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 pm

richardl46 wrote:One car I saw advertised claimed 126 bhp at the wheels. Assuming this must be circa 150 bhp at the flywheel is it likely to be a somewhat intractable car in traffic? I am now an age when usability is more important than peaky power.

Anyone claiming 126 hp at the wheels with a Twincam is, IMO, obliged to back it up with a dyno sheet. That sheet will include the torque curve, which is what matters to you. If it doesn't pull like a stock unit in the midrange, you have your answer.

Other factors are how the engine got to that output, most of which have a negative impact on longevity. For a weekend cruiser, the extra smiles might not be worth the headaches a weekend racer would be quite happy dealing with.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I am only just under 2 hours from you not such a long trek

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153115602597 ... 1555.l2649

Regards Clive
weddingcarclive
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi Clive,
I've just read your advert for your +2 on eBay and your car looks nice .
But there is no info about the Chassis, has it been changed and if so what was fitted Lotus or Spyder.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:17 pm

when purchased from Celtic Classics we were informed it had galvanized lotus chassis, the chassis is great as is the front cross member which would be first sign of corrosion and is sound having no problems with headlamps lifting, the headlamps lift without any issues, as you probably know the cross member is the vac tank for the operation of lamp pods
regards Clive
weddingcarclive
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi Clive,
That's good news and very important. I would suggest you put that in the advert.
The thing you need to be careful with on the Chassis Crossmember is that no idiot puts a jack directly under without putting a packing piece to stop damage. Even with a new Chassis it's possible to damage the Cross Member with a bad jacking method. I always put a packing piece the full size of the Cross Member to stop it becoming concave :shock: . The rust problems are first in the Front Turrets.
Imho it's best not to paint a Galvanised Chassis as the paint will always flake off.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Yes totally agree, just need someone who is genuinely looking for a decent car that has not been ragged around and has what money the car is worth, looks like at the moment plus 2s are not seeing interest at any price range looking at others that are still for sale but no rush its only gaining value ! just trying to help my lad buy his first house down south
weddingcarclive
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: