lotus elan +2 restoration

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Definitely not original and I think Jeremy is correct regarding the intent. Rose joints are generally not used for that type of application because of the total lack of resistance to bending. A fully bolted attachment is more stiff but the fabrication has to be more precise. I suspect the rose joints were used to allow less than perfect fabrication.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nicolacoltro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 am

JJDraper wrote:Never seen anything like that! Could be a way of preventing flex between the two suspension towers? You sometimes see something like this on metal-bodied rally cars to prevent the body shell flexing.

Difficult to see. Not sure why it would need ball joints (rose joints). Looks like its been put together from steering rod end joints. Could have been a mod for rough roads/motorsport. I can also see a riveted metal plate on the bodywork on the left hand mounting point..

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy, riveted plate is just a fact reinforced by carozziere due to a past accident, because there is not a right.
? But what makes me think that is original is the fact that to allow the bolts between the plates and frame to go through the bodywork there are two bobbin 5/16 plain drowned in the fiberglass original Lotus, and is seen to have been made by factory, then poenso that could be an accessory of the machine, what do you think, I can just send new pictures of the pieces already restored, hello
nicolacoltro
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nicolacoltro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:16 pm

hi guys, this is the foto....
nicolacoltro
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: J.E.S » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Nicola - a very interesting and unique modifications you have there. I've never seen this type of cross bracing on an elan chassis before - in fact I've never seen a chassis like that before - looks like a Lotus /Spider hybrid. The suspension arms are also unique being rose joined at the chassis end. It would be interesting to learn the history of your car and when and from whom it received these 'Italian' modifications. Cheers John.
J.E.S
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Salut

The front end is what Spyder grafts on when they renovate a chassis - identified by their tubular cross piece. Sean told me the rear end is usually fine with all the lubrication it receives so they generally keep that.

So as it's a Spyder renovated chassis it might be worth asking them if they had anything to do with the reinforcement.

Interesting.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nicolacoltro » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:20 pm

hello guys, the machine is of English origin, and is in Italy since 1989, and I am convinced that the change was made in England, the chassis number is 50/1978, but on almost all components, such as doors, trunk, etc. , is imprinted with the number 2012
nicolacoltro
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nicolacoltro » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:43 pm

nicolacoltro
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Look closely at the last photo. It appears there is an identification plate attached to the chassis below the alternator. It looks like "peterborough" is written on the plate. That would be where Spyder Engineering is located. It also looks like there are some chassis numbers stamped on the same plate. An e-mail to Spyder with those numbers and a few photographs could bring the answer to the modifications and possibly some history of the car.

Bob
1969 Lotus Elan +2
1968 TVR Vixen
1963 Jaguar MK2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nicolacoltro » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello everyone, I'll post some pictures of the chassis is almost done, who knows the shop that built the chassis?
nicolacoltro
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: johns » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Spyder are very well known provider of both parts for and fully restored Elans. Their chassis is almost the default alternative to the factory original when replacing a worn and rusty one and is regarded by many to actually be better than the original. They also pioneered the creation of the Zetec Elan. More info can be found here http://www.spydercars.co.uk
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nicolacoltro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 am

ciao a tutti, vi posto qualche foto della macchina pronta all'ultima mano di fondo, finalmente!

nicolacoltro
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nicolacoltro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 am

I'm sorry, I wrote in Italian, it is still early in the morning ...
Hello everyone, I'll post some pictures of the machine ready for the final coat, finally!
nicolacoltro
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: niagra » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 am

nicolacoltro wrote:I'm sorry, I wrote in Italian, it is still early in the morning ...
Hello everyone, I'll post some pictures of the machine ready for the final coat, finally!

Heh heh, I half understood - I am half Italian!

Great photos btw.

Dario
niagra
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 pm

I kinda half understood too. I'm retired now but our company, who specialized in woodworking machinery, had an office not far from Torbole. North end of lago del Garda. One of my favorite places on the planet..

I am going to miss my visits.. :?

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi,

Wish I knew how to spell come ti chiamo? Forgive me If I have it wrong but I never wrote it down much! :roll:

I think your chassis (sub frame) is a new one which was manufactured by Spyder. It has a few differences to the reconditioned ones. The tube front x member yes and also removable suspension wishbone fulcrum pins on the front. It also should have had a tow hook and drain plug fitted to the tubular x member too.

I fitted a brand new one to my + 2's in the late 70's or very early 80's. I liked the Item very much.

Wish I still had the car too..

All the best.

Alessandro Nero.... :lol:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: