Lotus Elan

My new Project - One (real) owner from new Plus 2

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:17 pm

DSC00726.JPG and
Paint isn't great
It's a tad rough but I like a challenge. Its a Plus 2, vin number is just over 1000, and was one owner until 2014, when the guy I bought it from bought it from the original owner. It needs everything doing, the chassis is very rotten - the gearbox mount fell off while it was being unloaded - but apart from carpets its just about all there. Watch this space.....
DSC00726.JPG and
Paint isn't great
Attachments
DSC00730.JPG and
But it's sort of all there
Matt Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:49 am

A plea here (from me) ..... if it's unmolested & original, then please take plenty of pictures of the way things are fitted together, route of pipes, wires, etc, etc .... [I suspect I'll be asking about this - hope you don't mind!]
The door locks look later, but I'm not sure of the change point. Is it a transverse silencer ?
Elan plus 2 - project
Elise S2
wotsisname
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:19 am

Hi Matt,
Your car is very close in age to mine and I got mine in a very similar condition. It's amazing how complete you think it is, and then renew so much of it! I'm into my third year this month and just satarting the bodywork and the tediuous paint removal. I still have a great passion for it so that says something, I think we must both like a good challenge.
Yes, it's really important to take strategic photos but with the great help on here, you can't go that wrong.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Kev.

SAM_1151 (640x480).jpg and
Two years ago
Elan+2 1968 Full Restoration
Previously - Elan Sprint '71, Excel SE '87 Esprit S4 '90
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys and I'm taking loads of photos. As its stopped raining I've found the engine number which I've forwarded to Andy at Lotus along with the vin and body numbers to verify if it is the original engine. The chassis is shot, the fight hand turret has collapsed damaging the inner wing and the gearbox mount fell off while getting the car off the low loader- luckily it was still attached to bits of the chassis, unluckily the bit of chassis it's still bolted to is no longer part of the chassis......
The car doesn't have a transverse silencer, in fact it doesn't seem to have any exhaust system at all (-:
I've also got to finish my 69 plus 2 S project, the chassis should be rolling this weekend....
Matt Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NedK » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Looks like we're all in the same boat.
My +2S dates from the end of 1969, and is in a similar state - pretty much complete and not messed with, but needing a complete restoration.
I will take lots and lots of pics, and build a blog around it. Link to follow (when I set it up!).
Cheers
Ned
NedK
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Quick update - hope to get the White (almost) one owner plus 2 unwrapped this weekend now winter is officially over (hollow laugh....) and check her out. Hopefully it won't have deteriated too much! Pickies to follow. I'm going to go back to standard as far as possible in contrast to my other restro project so I'll be looking for a new lotus style galvanised chassis in the next few months. Anyone know who has some in stock?
Matt Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Had the white whale basking in the sun this morning - it has survived sitting under a tarpaulin remarkably well! Just starting to assess what will be needed; there are a few bits that are probably beyond repair:
The rear bumper has seen better days - mind you its only the centre section which is rotten; both corners are OK and the number plate lights are salvageable:
dsc01155.jpg and

The left hand side front wing is only loosely attached at the wheel arch and headlamp pod:
dsc01144.jpg and

dsc01145.jpg and

And the paint is pretty scabby all over:
dsc01156.jpg and

So something to look forwards to while I press on with my Plus 2S..........
Matt Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:41 pm

A quick update on the white whale....
bought a chassis from RichC of this site and just got it home today - proving that a plus 2 chassis will fit in a VW T4 van if you leave one door open....
It'll go into storage in my garage while I finish off the other plus 2 but it means the project is slowly getting started.
Photos to follow
Matt Elan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: