Oil pressure

PostPost by: davie489 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi
Any ideas?
Been using the car everyday this week and alls seems fine with good oil pressure at constant 30-35psi which seems to be the norm . But today and probably one out of 5 times I drive it oil pressure goes to zero after 40 mins of driving and returns back to normal later on drive or next day it's fine.

Regards
Dave
davie489
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:01 am

It could be the oil pressure,but I doubt it,it could be a faulty connection between the sender and gauge/supply or it could even be harmonic interaction between the sender and the voltage stabiliser ( both are bi-metallic strips vibrating ).
First port of call is to jiggle all your wires while watching the gauge,bearing in mind it is dampened,so any movement is slow....

Good hunting

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davie489 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks John

I will look into this ....
A new pattern seems to be happening now . When driving with high revs oil pressure is fine but when dropping down the revs around town the pressure drops to zero.
New to classic cars..... I absolutely love the thing but it does drive me nuts .

Dave
davie489
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:35 am

With your latest diagnosis,I would check the oil pump,maybe the release valve,try fitting an oil pressure gauge in place of the sender...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davie489 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:22 am

Thanks for the advise John :)
davie489
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:56 am

I go with something electrical too.......even something as simple as a loose connection on the sender.....
if it disappears for a moment but then comes back....its not the pressure that's dropping
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:35 am

If the oil pressure is really dropping to zero you should be hearing the bearing( death) rattle. If the engine sounds normal then its most likely a gauge problem

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davie489 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi Rohan
The death rattle? What does this sound like? theres rattling noises when driving but think just general car noises . They come from dash area
Thanks
Dave
davie489
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 pm

When the oil pressure drops to zero truly, then you will hear a heavy knocking rattle from the big ends. At low revs you can hear the individual knocks at high revs ( say 8000rpm) its more of a continuous load rumble.

Its very different noise from most rattles and knocks and is proportional to engine speed

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm

...................as the gauge needs actual physical pressure, i'd also look for a leak somewheres! (see floor) sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davie489 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi sandy

I do have a leak from the rear crank seal which I know is an engine out job and want avoid for a while and it's very minor .
Could this cause the zero oil pressure?

Regards
Dave
davie489
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: davie489 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi sandy

I do have a leak from the rear crank seal which I know is an engine out job and want avoid for a while and it's very minor .
Could this cause the zero oil pressure?

Regards
Dave
davie489
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:23 pm

That is why I have never liked electrical gauges. I do have one on my Caterham, and do not like it at all. Anyways I also vote for an electrical fault unless you hear a "difference" in the motor sound when it drops to zero. I would remove the bonnet and try to get it to do it while the bonnet is off to hear it better. There will be a rather noisy difference with and without oil pressure.

This is a low pressure high volume system. and looking at the above question, no, a bad seal would not cause low oil pressure.

The cost of oil pumps is rather low. Much less than blowing motor. You might want to replace it just to be sure.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:32 pm

If you had zero pressure you would know what the death rattle sounds like. It isn't subtle! Check to make sure you dipstick is accurate too. Mine is set too low so it appears to be full when it's actually not. I found that out on roundabouts! I changed the oil and carefully measured the correct amount then checked the dipstick and found it was much higher than the FULL mark. Lesson learned.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Dave

If its electrical gauge you will have a transmitter next to the dizzy, these can fail at different pressures and give false readings. I don't think these a now available or weren't when I had problems some years ago.
My solution was to cut the canister around its circumference then clean the contacts carefully and re solder the canister again. this takes some care but is possible, mine has now been fine for around 15 years
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: