Part origins

PostPost by: ElanAndy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and have a 1970 +2s that requires a full restoration. I am in the process of slowly acquiring parts to then have a good run when I start...that's my philosophy anyway!
Is there a list or publication I could refer to that explains or details the origin of the parts I will need? For example I know the front suspension is mainly triumph....but is it spitfire or gt6? The interior boot light...is this lotus specific or sourced elsewhere?
Thanks for any advice...I only want to buy the right parts once!
Andy
ElanAndy
New-tral

PostPost by: Panda » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:54 am

Yes Andy, there is an excellent book called " Authentic Lotus Elan & Plus 2 1962-1974" by Paul Robinshaw and Christopher Ross. Published by Motor Racing Publications Ltd in 1995. Highly recommended. Just what you want.
Alan P.
Panda
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:01 am

I took my front bumper for plating - I told him it was off an Anglia.

Priced agreed at ?125. Went to get it and the plater said it's ?250 as you said it was off an Anglia but I've heard it's for a Lotus!! (a 'friend' had called in for me and asked if the Lotus bumper is ready)

I said I was not happy and refused to pay. He said he would remove the chrome and return it to me!!

Common sense prevailed and we agreed a price but this does happen, so be warned!

Jon

PS: the firm was near Blidworth, Notts. Would never use them again. I ended up spending a fortune at Derby Plating and never regretted it
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Not a comprehensive list but many parts on here. It is from the Golden Gate Lotus Club and they reference for other Lotus models as well.

http://gglotus.org/ggpart/elan+2xref.htm

There is also a good an online parts catalogue/diagrams here, very useful when trying to work out what goes where.

http://www.rdent.com/manuals/index.html

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:42 pm

[quote="jono"]I took my front bumper for plating - I told him it was off an Anglia.

Priced agreed at ?125. Went to get it and the plater said it's ?250 as you said it was off an Anglia but I've heard it's for a Lotus!! (a 'friend' had called in for me and asked if the Lotus bumper is ready)

I said I was not happy and refused to pay. He said he would remove the chrome and return it to me!!

Common sense prevailed and we agreed a price but this does happen, so be warned!

Jon

PS: the firm was near Blidworth, Notts. Would never use them again. I ended up spending a fortune at Derby Plating and never regretted it[/quote]

That is appalling behaviour!

Please name and shame Jon. I don't believe anyone on here would wish to use that firm with an attitude like that and so blatant with it too.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanAndy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks very much for all the info and for welcoming me into the fold! Appreciated.
Can't believe the price went up on you Jon, talk about Lotus Factor but I am sure I will probably find out when I get started!!
Is the book quite a difficult one to get hold of Alan....? I can't seem to find one at the moment assuming it's the one with a green cover...plenty with the yellow cover by same authors but these have a slightly different title.
Cheers guys.
Andy
ElanAndy
New-tral

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 pm

The yellow cover is the early edition; the green cover is for the later edition which has more +2 content
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:33 pm

richardcox_lotus wrote:The yellow cover is the early edition; the green cover is for the later edition which has more +2 content

Of which... I have a Yellow Hardback signed by Robinshaw and Ross if of any interest.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:35 am

If you're not able to get hold of a copy of the later R&R book, I'm happy to loan you mine in exchange for a donation to this site.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum.
Have a look here:
lotuselan-plus2-f51/lotus-parts-register-new-tread-requested-t12419.html

Also please find attached something I have had for years. It's yonks old. I got it with my first elan, around 1981!
It did spark a mass debate about whether the air vents were Hunter or Cortina!
Please don't start that again!

Kind regards
Jeff 72+2
Attachments
Lotus Comparative parts list Elan+2.pdf
(634.1 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:17 am

It's been yonks since I last heard that word used. Just how old are you Jeff? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi Steve,
As old as the hills.
(They live just down the road from me)

Jeff
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ElanAndy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks very much to all, what a great place for advice and guidance! Great to be part of the fold! I have a book on order so thanks again, looking forward to stripping the car down now! Andy
ElanAndy
New-tral

Next

Total Online: