plus 2 failsafe lights

PostPost by: el torro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:46 pm

my car is in for paint and I need to remove headlight pods,does anyone know the best way to do this and also refit as I am worried about damaging the paint, I seem to remember it's a very strong spring and it was a struggle to dry fit them
el torro
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:50 pm

One sneaky way to fit strong springs is to insert nails between the coils when it is already stretched.

Then pull them out one at a time when it is in place.

Obviously you do this at your own risk!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el torro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:19 pm

worth a try ta
el torro
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:31 pm

Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection. That spring can do some harm. I sure do like the idea of using electric motors for these. I'm sick of the stupid vacuum system
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 am

The other thing you can try is to use strong cable ties to hold the springs compressed (i.e. you put them on with the headlights down). You need to be careful that the ties don't slip - I was going to suggest that you use duck/duct tape to hold the ties in place but you may find that if you clean the springs and use enough tape you may not need the cable ties... On a failsafe +2 you should have two springs next to one another so tape them separately. Also make sure you have some way of identifying exactly where the vacuum system bolts to the body as it's location can make a big difference as to how well the headlights go up and down.
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: