My Plus 2 : TYG862F

PostPost by: spridget » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Well, I ?ll try to tell you about my +2.
I bought it in june 2010 on ebay UK without seeing it before ? Yes, I like poker !
The price was reasonably low and this car had been put on the road 2 days before me ? this +2 was for me !
It?s an early one, which probably had a complicated life with a lot of modifications like : a S front end with spot lamps, positive earth, generator and so on .. nevermind that only proves the car is alive !

P1000973.JPG and

After a while and a few road tests, I was aware that some works will be needed. Especially the dashboard, the heater case and the wiring loom which had been heavily modified.

Then I have decided in September 2011 to SORN the car. As the dashboard needed to be changed, I have chosen to convert to LHD. It was a big challenge for me as I?m a ?bricoleur du dimanche? (I.E not a great mechanics!)

First, I have found a Triumph Herald rack on the famous french website ?Leboncoin? for a few bucks. The two racks were dismantled, cleaned and painted. The LHD was re-assembled with the inner-limiter.

cremaillere.jpg and

After that, the dashboard has been pulled out ?

20120310_180017.jpg and

and a new one was bought from Margareth Cuthbert who did a very good job

P1010865.JPG and

I ?ve discovered how the sandblasting and powder coating is helpful and provides a gain of time? perfect for the pedal box
before :
20120419_215733.jpg and

and after
new pedal box.jpg and

The heater box :
before
P1010873.JPG and

and after :
20120622_200406.jpg and

and many other small parts

Lotuselan.net was very helpful too, fellow members gave me good advices and I met there Robert, a Canadian member which now is a good friend. We made parts exchange as he was converting his S4 to RHD !

The most complicated was the wiring, it was hardly modified, I opened the loom and I have checked each wire. The RB106 regulator has been take out and the loom adapted. It was also necessary to rewire the wiper motor on the right side of the car.

I was thinking this wiper motor had just to be fitted on the plate on the other side ? No ! on the right side, it is bolted to the inner wing ? the loom was made one more time !

All the instruments were cleaned and fitted on the new dash (very pleasant to do) and the wiring too.

I added a small plate for two extra switches for the spot lamps and the electrics radiator fans (both of them operate via added relays)

The 3 looms (main, dash and rear) were connected and it was time to check if it works ! Nothing ! just the ?clonk? from the cigar lighter ! The big NU wire was disconnected

A few trials, and all the electrics were working ! My friends say : exceptional in a Lotus !

I gave up with the heater cable connectors, I should have to connect them before to put the dash back, I spent ages lying on the floor trying to screw the small retaining bolt ? I will know how to do for the next time !

20131027_112526.jpg and

Right now, I?m trying to pull out the sill members, as the plates were rotten; I?ve found new galvanized ones sold by Spydercars on ebay for a good price last year.
But there is another topic about them

sill member.jpg and
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:58 pm

20131013_174500.jpg and

What else ? I have found a nice Philips Turnolock but I don?t have connected.
I made a special bracket to fit without the sandwich fixing that hurts the dash

2.jpg and

The covering of the crashpad was hard to do and I'm not very pleased with the result

Twin fans have been fitted :

fans.jpg and

New brakes line :

brakes.jpg and

When the sill member will back on the car, the next job will be to fit the carpets and the entire interior

I will surely be in need your advices

I hope reading me is not too much hard and I hope you will help me to improve my English !

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Franck - looks good so far.... you are way ahead of me and my Plus 2 Resto!
Keep up the good work, your English is a lot better than my French and let us know how it goes.
Matt
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Franck, you seem to be getting on well with the restoration! As with these cars there is always lots to do! I also have my +2 in bits for a new chassis and spotted the solid rack mounts you have used, I was thinking of using them but was not sure how well they would fit and grip the rack without crushing it? We're they ok?
By the way those fans you have fitted look from the picture to be puller fans needing to rotate the wrong way to blow making them very inefficient! Is that the case is am I seeing them wrong in the photo?

Julian.
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks Matt, unfortunately due to a lack of room, it?s not a complete restoration, the best would been to take out the chassis, so I do it stage by stage. Anyway ?I?m learning my car? and I like it!
I hope to read your book shortly !
Julian, the rack mount are in aluminium and they fit right. Regarding the fans, they come from many of them you can find on ebay, they can rotate to push or to pull air in the rad. Then of course they are connected to push. It would have been best to fit them in the other side (that was my first idea) but there is not enough room.

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:08 pm

The last news : the right sill member is now on the car, I have now to bolt it.

20131101_095313.jpg and

The real problem comes with the left one, impossible to take it out : not enough room

20131101_160024.jpg and

Then, I was thinking first to remove the lower wishbone and the rotoflex. After compressing the rotoflex, I tried to unscrew the bolts ? impossible with the tools I have !
Now I?m planning to unscrew the top shock absorber nut, to do that I?m waiting to receive the right socket !
I?m also waiting to receive a high torque starter motor I bought in the USA.
We recently re-started the engine but after a few trials the Lucas starter motor has failed !
Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Great progress, Franck!
Recommend you get some "flat" UNF sockets like Clarke PR031 (? inch drive) from Machine Mart, they are the type with just six sides rather than twelve points and don't ruin the nuts and bolt heads. You'll enjoy the ride when you've finished it all so don't despair.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Meg, many thanks for your kind encouragements

Yes I had ordered sockets with 6 sides and not 12.

The pin is already out, not easy to catch it despite a great view through the rear window !

I used a small mirror and a light and it was not as much hard

Franck

?
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:50 pm

I have difficulties with the new right member,
The Spyder members have a flat wedge part that goes between the two body parts,

20131109_122018.jpg and

It?s probably better for the rigidity but I think the GRP has been previously repaired by the past that makes a thickness. As a result the front plate isn?t attached, there is half a centimeter. Not easy to explain, have a look on the pictures

20131109_121913.jpg and

20131109_121843.jpg and

So what is the best in your opinion ? cut the wedge plate on the member ? or to attack the body ?

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Franck,

I would keep the steel the way it is and work the body. I prefer the rigidity.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks Mike,
I think you're right, I will sand down the body
Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:21 pm

I have sand down the body and made a small plate for the remaining thickness. I hope to get time to work on the car tomorrow to finish the right side.

A few weeks ago, with a friend we have re-started the engine but after a few trials, the stater motor has failed
Tomorrow I will receive the new hi-torque bought from Classic Car Performance in the USA, the I hope to start the engine shortly :D

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:56 am

Salut

This week-end was great !
The right sill member is now bolted on the car after a long time grinding and many trials, it?s OK

20131118_124607.jpg and

20131118_124638.jpg and

I have also received the hi-torque starter motor and on Sunday, the engine has started after 2 years working on the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV5XuHKL ... e=youtu.be

Now I have to work on the left sill member and ? to be continued !

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Well done Franck!
I just love your look of satisfaction in the video - it says it all :D
I hope to have that look in about 2016 :roll: it's a long haul but well worth it.
Kevin
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi Kevin
Thanks for your words, you are absolutely right, a great pleasure! I just hope to share yours shortly
Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: