Replacing +2 Window Switch

PostPost by: RPSA2 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi,
I wasn't able to find any previous threads on this. Could someone kindly give me some pointers on replacing a +2 window switch? I was hoping to be able to do it by removing the ashtray and going in through there, but it seems like I'll have to pull down the fascia? Thank you.
Rob
RPSA2
New-tral

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:12 pm

yep front off I'm afraid . I'm having to do same this weekend ....
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:14 pm

that's the transmission tunnell cover out , gearlever off etc
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Don't feel so bad about it. I've got my dashboard totally disassembled for new veneer and electrical refurbishing. I hope it all works when I get it back together! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:36 am

RichC wrote:that's the transmission tunnell cover out , gearlever off etc

And, at least in a Plus 2S, in order to remove the transmission tunnel cover/console, you have to remove the front seats . . . and the back seats . . . argh :shock:

But we love our cars :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Sea Ranch wrote:
RichC wrote:that's the transmission tunnell cover out , gearlever off etc

And, at least in a Plus 2S, in order to remove the transmission tunnel cover/console, you have to remove the front seats . . . and the back seats . . . argh :shock:

But we love our cars :mrgreen:

Randy

I have no problem moving the tunnel cover from my +2S with both the front and rear seats in place. It takes a bit of work to wiggle the tunnel cover out from under the rear seat unit but it is not difficult.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Not a +2, but I replaced the rh electric window switch on my S4 today. The procedure is similar in that you need to remove the centre console to get at the bottom 2 bolts on the dashboard as well as drop the steering column. I'm also pretty sure you need to remove the heater/ventilation control knobs which are held on with tiny screws underneath the knobs, it should then all angle forward allowing you to use a stubby Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the switch. I used a very nifty right angle ratchet screwdriver that did a great job in a tight space. Took me 3 hours including modifying a spare +2 switch to work with an S4 ( hardware crisscross top and bottom terminals)

A fiddly time consuming job that saves you ?60-?80 per hour if you had to pay somebody to do it.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-screwdr ... 0wodIJcPFQ
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:54 pm

The console [non S] fits behind the rear seat, so rear seat comes out to remove console.

this is so you can push the bottom of the dash out

There is a screw above and below the switch and maybe with a Chapman set you can get to it through the ashtray, but I have never tried.

I would suggest:
remove rear seatback
remove shift knob
remove console
unscrew the knee trim , you can flop it back out of the way, both sides
unscrew the two bolts at the bottom of the dash, catching the nuts from behind
push the bottom of the dash out so you can access to the switch
unscrew the switch
pull out and swap wires

It is probable with enough swearing you could get the switch out without moving the dash, but it may prove more frustrating. I have not tried it so maybe it is not as bad as I think
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:07 am

I remembered this when I searched on the owners posts when I was looking to buy his car. Whilst it won't help with the work required to get the switch out this old thread may save you the cost of the replacement switch and the yucky plastic look they have against the originals that were fitted on the later +2s.

lotus-electrical-f38/wiper-switch-from-ray-dent-t32124.html#p215606
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: