Spyder Twin Wishbone Rear Suspension

PostPost by: elanJack » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:24 am

I have been running the Spyder rear twin wishbone setup for over 20 years without any issues, however it appears that the top bush is beginning to fail by the centre rubber being forced out. I had noticed for some time that the wishbone did not sit central in the hub carrier and I have wondered if it was the result of the spring being designed offset and so exerting a rotational force on the stop joint, both sides are the same?
Anyone else seen the problem? Interesting thing is to remove the top wishbone I think I may have to drill a hole in the boot to get the long pivot bolt out? I spoke with Spyder a while back and they suggested the solution maybe their adjustable top wishbone with a rose joint, or is it time to put the Chapman struts back?
Attachments
img_2683.jpg and
img_2684.jpg and
elanJack
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:37 am

Both the brake torque and the the spring / shock loads will drive the rotation of the hub you see. But after 20 years i would just replace the bush if happy with the suspension otherwise :D

Personally I have never been keen on the Spyder twin wishbone rear end due to the spring which is not stable as its too long and its diameter to small so it buckles

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:52 am

Hi,
Yes you need to make a hole in the inner wing/ boot to get the spindle out, if it?s been in there a long time then you may need plenty of your favourite penetrating oil ( Plusgas ) to free it but it?s normally just a push fit.
Remember whole of the alignment is on rubber bushes so it may be a combination of slight offset elsewhere. I seem to remember ? juggling? mine.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanJack » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks guys, I guess just replacing the faulty bush is the quickest & cheapest option, I will be happy for another 20 years in more ways than one! I'm please in a way that I didn't get loads of "I have that problem too" replies.
elanJack
New-tral

PostPost by: elanJack » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:59 pm

I called Spydercars and they confirmed that this problem has been designed out with a rose joint, but as a set of wishbones with the rose joints would be about ?300, I went for replacement rubber bushes and as Ron predicted the fulcrum bolts were not not happy so I replaced the offending bushes in situ. I also checked the invoice and I replaced the chassis and suspension in Feb 1987, just 30 years ago almost to the day! Not sure when the bushes failed though?
Attachments
img_3228.jpg and
elanJack
New-tral

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:23 am

Hi,
Nice job, don?t be too disappointed if your new bush doesn?t last quite 30 yrs, seems they can?t make any quality metal rubber bounded part these days!!
Safe motoring.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanJack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:15 pm

One month later and not driven at all, both wishbone inserts have moved back, just with the weight of the car?
I've now made some "washers" to sit either side of the bushes but the same diameter as the bushes.
I will keep checking to make sure the bushes don't slide out of the wishbones!
Clearly I need either the Sydercar upgrade or I need to put the original suspension back?
Attachments
img_3291.jpg and
img_3293.jpg and
img_3292.jpg and
elanJack
New-tral

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Neat.

It will be interesting to discover how much wear the rear washer is subject to.

Perhaps you could have put both washers at the rear and they could have acted as a bearing. (As there is no load at the front.)
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: