SRX 972G 1968 Elan +2

PostPost by: S3FHC » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:42 am

Does anyone know of the whereabouts of the above car?
A friend owned it from new but he has no idea when he sold it.
It was originally a solid (non-metallic) red colour but obviously that may have changed since then.
(it doesn't appear to have been on the road for over 30 years)

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Cant help but strangely 68 +2 SRX 970G was for sale on eBay last August.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks Tim,

so very close to the correct registration!
(with the numbers being that close they must have been registered together?)

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:03 am

would help if we had a body number ... so many have been split . I have 2 red shells from that era
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm sorry RichC, I don't have any further information

Mark.
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Billybumshine » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi I was the owner of SRX 970G lotus elan plus 2 1968 originally blue, I restored in the 80s yellow. It was photographed at donnington 2014 it was red, someone said it was on eBay 2016. Anyone know where it is now. Cheers Mike
Billybumshine
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Mike,

Here is the Aug 2015 ebay listing:

Owned by one of our regular customers, a classic car collector based in Staffordshire. The Lotus has been driven over 175 miles to us performing superbly in poor weather conditions. The car coped with rush hour M1 traffic heading north and has been proven reliable, usable and a true delight to drive. The owner is now only parting with the car due to his plans to concentrate on a mainly Jaguar collection. The Elan was first registered on 29th November 1968 but we do not have early history. We do know the car was taken off the road in 1996 and was purchased in 2004 needing a full restoration. The Lotus was then subject of a body off restoration that included a new Lotus galvanised chassis that was painted Black during the rebuild programme. The body was professionally re-sprayed in a low bake oven and the engine was stripped and rebuilt with new piston rings, bearings and seals. The cylinder head was treated to new guides and valves and the carburettors were professionally rebuilt. The gearbox and differential were stripped and rebuilt, the brakes were re-commissioned with new pistons and seals and a new servo fitted. New Spyder drive shafts were fitted, as were new tyres. The bumpers, light surrounds and roof rails were re-chromed and the car was put back on the road. Since rebuild the Elan has had occasional use and still presents beautifully. The paint finish gleams with a lovely deep shine, the chrome work is excellent and the upholstery is incredibly smart whilst still retaining an original feel. The engine bay presents superbly and is impressive.

SRX 970G was first registered on Friday 29th of November 1968 in Reading. In Jan 2016 it had done 49,538 miles. It was painted yellow previously and is now red. It has not been MoT'd since Jan 2017.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billybumshine » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks for info it was off the road in 1996 I see. Probably when it was written off and lotus took it back to factory, I sold it mid 80s to a guy he had it a few years. Then sold it to a RAF chap who wrapped it round a tree, he wasn?t hurt but lotus was. I would love to see her again, keep looking every year I go to classic Silverstone. She might turn up one year

Mike
Billybumshine
New-tral

Total Online: