Re-Trim Time

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:21 pm

I finally got my car back today from the paint shop and although it seems to have taken forever, I am delighted with the paint job, and even more delighted with my bodywork - many weeks of hard labour.
The colour is glacier blue, the colour I bought it with.
My question is regarding the re-build / trim sequence (including windscreens) and when to build the doors. All mechanicals are complete and the dash and most of the carpet is fitted.
Is it best to build the doors then hang them or build them on the car?
Itching to start again, but I need a plan.
Thanks,
Kev
sam_1874-640x480.jpg and

sam_1878-640x480.jpg and

sam_1880-640x480.jpg and
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Looking good. 8)

I'm not at that stage yet but my plan is to hang doors then build as they will be lighter to level up without all the bits on!

Going to get interior all done and then hang doors the build doors.
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 am

Wow, Kev! And I'm glad you kept the Glacier Blue!

Regarding doors, it's my experience that any weight added to a hung door will change the way it fits. If you don't mind readjusting, then hang first, "build" second. My plan is to fully build the doors - everything on and in them - and then hang them . . . once. Don't want to leave my beautiful paint with various marks where I've had to clamp the hinges down and then move them.

YMMV . . .

Very impressed, Kev! You'r getting way ahead of me!!

Regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:09 am

Looks really great so far!
I have the same question as I've kept the doors off the car so far... so interested in opinions on this. My (current) thinking is to part build [fit glass + frames], then hang before adding locks, motor, trim, etc... Interested to know if this is a bad idea (eg will I have a big problem if I do it in this order).... I've yet to properly read this section of the manual (so may have put something totally daft)

Adrian
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:36 am

OKAY!
now Kev i'm just a little ahead of you in this regard so i think you may benefit from my mistakes !
I'll PM you and we can have a chat ...
I'd say it's so much easier to keep the doors on the car as they are so they are out of harms way ... its such a fiddle getting the windowframes and motor back in . Ive abandoned the job for now as after all the faffing I wound the passenger window up for the first time and now it won't come down so i'll have to take it all out again!!
I checked dash switch and that's fine , so there's something else going on ... it's drawing current so something must have stuck in mechanism i guess ... you' couldn't do this testing with the doors off very easily
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi Kev,
I put the basic doors on mine, then installed the window frames followed by the glass and then the motor.
This way you don't need two pairs of hands to lift and hold the door whilst someone else bolts them on.
Dave
Attachments
image.jpeg and
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks all,
It seems to be a straight choice between bench assembly or on the car.
I can see the advantage of shimming the doors first then adding the bits. You can have the doors hung and levelled, leaving both hands free to add the fixtures.
I can also see how a total assembly off the car would save some chips and major cursing. It should then be a one hit fix (although heavier) :? I suppose this would be the way it was done in the factory :?:
Another question...When to fix the carpet covering the hinge holes? As the carpet has to be fixed under the door seal, is it best to leave it loose or fix it and have two hidden slits in the carpet for future adjustment / removal? Has anyone done this or am I asking for trouble from the purists?
Regards,
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi Kev
You could do it either way. I left my carpet until I was totally finished with the doors and then I stuck it down. Having an indiscreet slit in the carpet is a good idea and could work well, however you need to consider the large chunky washer that goes on the back and how to get it in.
Remember you have also got the wiring coming through from the door as well,

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: