Value of a complete shell

PostPost by: Parptoot » Tue May 24, 2016 11:16 am

Hello again,
I have a thread running re originality and a possible purchase of a +2 with a droopy nose. I have the option of a complete shell and was wondering what the value is of one.

Lets assume that this is a complete and undamaged shell that requires a rub down and a repaint. What value would that have?
I don't need any cost to re-shell the car into the shell, just the value of that shell alone.

Many thanks,
Mike.
Parptoot
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Tue May 24, 2016 6:28 pm

complete shell needing only a rubdown and a paint ? if that's what someone is telling you i wouldn't believe them :lol: ?500 should do it easily & be prepared to have to do a lot more work than that ....
fixing a drooping nose is easier than reshelling (having done both jobs) .
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Parptoot » Tue May 24, 2016 6:39 pm

RichC wrote:complete shell needing only a rubdown and a paint ? if that's what someone is telling you i wouldn't believe them :lol: ?500 should do it easily & be prepared to have to do a lot more work than that ....
fixing a drooping nose is easier than reshelling (having done both jobs) .

I was being more than a tad vague, sorry. It's because I have very little information. It was just on offer and at a price, added onto the cost of the car.
I've no idea of the value and definitely no idea what state the shell is in. It may be new! I doubt it though.
I'll ask the question but a re-shell isn't for me. I'm capable and have the tools but I'm lazy. Any work required will be paid for and done by someone in the know.

It was more of an idea to accept the offer then sell it on but ?500? I'll not bother if used.
Parptoot
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gus » Tue May 24, 2016 10:52 pm

No

that is the answer, just no.

hint #1

If one bought a factory new shell what would be the cost of transferring all components to it and giving it a first rate paint job?
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Wed May 25, 2016 8:09 am

Dont know if you have seen this or not but here is a link to an ebay listing for a company that does them new:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lotus-elan-bodyshells-26r-europa-plus-2-/322103738858?hash=item4afee101ea:g:194AAOxyuR5TZ4Nx
This ones for an S3 at ?3K so I would guess a +2 would be a bit more as there is more material. Might be worth a email to ask if you really want to know the cost of new.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 am

In the past I have found it very difficult to even give away a Plus 2 shell. I had one with a small amount of damage (a couple of cracks and missing a small chunks in two of the wheel arches) but otherwise very straight, and never having been repaired. Nobody was even interested in having bits cut off the shell for their restorations!

Another was a near perfect shell, complete with doors, bonnet and boot, with chassis plate and V5, sitting on a rolling chassis with a nice set of Lotus Alloys. That struggled to get ?800.

A third was an early car that had been repainted (very well), and the project abandoned and car broken for parts, and I bought the shell and rolling chassis. That sold for similar money, about ?800, which is daft considering how much a re-paint is today!

I think that one of the main issues is that a used shell usually has some problems, having been poorly fixed in the past, and / or or needing a lot of work to get all the cracks sorted prior to painting.

Buy a car with a good shell and a good paint job....otherwise be prepared to spend a lot of time and potentially ?8000 plus sorting it out.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Parptoot » Wed May 25, 2016 8:25 am

Excellent info all, Thank you.
Parptoot
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: