Well I've done it now!

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Well there you go!

Removed and cleaned the posh, virtually new, iridium plugs. Stripped off the airbox to ensure it was squirting fuel - all to no avail.

Then, as advised by some and especially Spyderfan, I put new, basic, BP6ES plugs in. Full choke, no throttle, started immediately! Not even any need for the Easy Start spray. BTW I'm told deicer spray works almost as well.

Hoorah!

I shall now put the iridium back in when it is hot, give them a blast, and carry a spare set - just in case.

Thanks for all the help.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:01 pm

Vince
I'm sure I've read on here somewhere that iridium are no good for our engines....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:07 pm

De_icer back in the days was ethanol based and used to work as well as maybe even better than Easistart, but the cans that I have used in recent years did nothing at all except perhaps foul/wet the plugs :( the local down and out glue sniffers pronounced them useless also :D

They dont do a very good job of clearing the screen of ice and keeping it clear either.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:15 pm

vincereynard wrote:Well there you go!

Removed and cleaned the posh, virtually new, iridium plugs. Stripped off the airbox to ensure it was squirting fuel - all to no avail.

Then, as advised by some and especially Spyderfan, I put new, basic, BP6ES plugs in. Full choke, no throttle, started immediately! Not even any need for the Easy Start spray. BTW I'm told deicer spray works almost as well.

Hoorah!

I shall now put the iridium back in when it is hot, give them a blast, and carry a spare set - just in case.

Thanks for all the help.

You forget I didn't post any advice on plugs here, so Rohan and John should get the credit for pointing you towards the accepted instant solution for a non starting for no good reason Lotus Twin Cam. I just reinforced it via email based on my past experience and workshop practice at Spyder where they constantly have to move cars around to make room, which results in fouled plugs and non starters if they are not allowed to warm up properly.

Also crossed over with Mark on the shake down subject, it's only taken me 8 years to make my +2 Zetec almost free of niggles, by the time I have it right it will be time to rebuild using electric motors from a Tesla S.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:51 pm

Fair enough. There are no daft suggestions. It could have been anything.
So to anyone who contributed - my thanks.

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Iridium plugs if they are of the right configuration and heat range will work OK in a twin cam. However they are just a waste of money as the life of a plug in a twin cam is determined by fouling of the insulator not by erosion of the electrodes. So the expensive iridium electrodes designed to last 70,000 miles / 100,000 km in a a modern fuel injected car are wasted as you throw them out after about 5000 miles ( or even much less) as the insulator is fouled due to poor fuel mixture control in a carburetor car especial a twin cam with dual Webers that run rich most of the time

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davefettback » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:56 am

Old gas is a primary cause of smelly smokey cars. If the tank smells strong, it's likely old.
Davefettback
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: