wiring loom routing in the boot of a +2

PostPost by: JR44 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:42 am

Hi

Looking for some info on the wiring loom routing from the cabin to the boot , can anybody help

Thanks in advance

John
JR44
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:15 am

What level of detail are you looking for ?

In my late body rhd +2, the main wiring passes along the top of the rhs of the tunnel, running in a void or slot in the undefelt. The main connections between the dash and rear looms are just inside the rhs tunnel cover piece in the footwell, although some wires do not feature a connector here.
The wrapped wiring bundle runs along the top of the rhs of the tunnel to the start of the rear seat area. Just where the tunnel starts to broaden, the wiring loom crosses over the tunnel to the lhs and runs just in front of the tank to pass over the lhs wheel arch.
Above the wheel arch and inside the boot, the loom splits. The wiring to the fuel sensors and boot light run across the tank, left to right. The remaining wiring runs down the wheel arch and then just under the boot board to the rear lhs light area, where the wiring splits again, to the lhs and rhd rear light clusters. The lhs rear number plate light is fed with wires running from lhs light cluster and the rhd number plate is fed from the rhs cluster.

Rhs and lhs are as viewing the car from behind.
HTH
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JR44 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:26 am

Peter

Thanks very much for your reply, that is the information I`m needing , it was the body shop that removed the loom from the boot and just chucked it into the main cabin so I wasn`t sure where to run it back too ,great thanks again

Cheers
John
JR44
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Interesting. I ran mine down the side of the tunnel on the floor as I wasn't 100% sure where it went. As mine is a LHD car, essentially the same as above but runs RH side in the boot.

Reminds me of an unfortunate story that confirms the loom routing I guess. A good friend got an eight track tape player installed in his Elan 'back in the day'. The installer ran four self tappers in to the top of the tunnel to mount the unit behind the seats. The car had untold mysterious 'electrical issues', until the owner realized it had damaged a bunch of the wiring! :D

One quick suggestion. If running speaker wires to the rear, route them on the opposite side of the car separate from the loom and well away from the main power cable.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:32 am

1970 lhd federal

pretty sure it ran down the outside but boy it has been a while
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:32 am

Mine runs top of the rhs of the tunnel, not rhs of the top (does that make sense ?). Hopefully I won't manage to put any screws through it, although I was somewhat nervous re-instating the self tappers that hold the panel next to the drivers knee that fixes to the tunnel :-)
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: