October 2012 Lotus elan 50th

PostPost by: europatek » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:49 am

I have just emailed the VHRR with the idea of the Elan and the MK1 Cortina being the featured marque for the
Philip Island Classic. Both celebrate their 50th in 2012 and as this event draws entries from interstate and overseas it seems an appropriate place to celebrate these two well known classics.
europatek
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:58 am

I will be there so at least one Elan racing :D

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:27 am

All,

I've met with Brian Caldersmith and Marc shagen (Elan Registrar) re elan 50th cleebrations in Australia. Brian is rasi9ng with HSRCA at Tasman meetying next week possibility that Elans are used instead of Margans to drive the Tasman drivers around the track pre race, and also provide a paddock for all things Elan (Loti). We would need ~25 roadworthy Elans and event is late in the year

Brian confirmed that the Australian GP arrangements have been finalised so no opportunity there.

I'm drafting a letter to be sent to all Elan owners and also put itn the various state newsletters with couople of options, namely, the Tasman option, subject to it getting support, or a GEAR type gathering at Wakefield Park as all can enhjpy track use without CAMS licences and acommodation is reasonably priced. This could be planned to occur in the days leading up to Tasman meeting which provides more reasont o travel.

For those unable to make the trip I'd like to see if we can get state coordinators to arrange gatherings so we get as many cars out as possible this year to celebrate. Any offers to coordinate state based activity?

The letter will b seeking feedback and support for each option so we can determine way forward.

Cheers

V
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:58 am

I am on the HSRCA General and Race Committees so obviously I'll push for Elans to be a part of the Tasman event! I'm Deputy Clerk of Course at the Tasman so obviously I will be there as will my Elan - although it's a fixed head (good if it rains on the parade...).
Evan J
Elan S4 FHC RHD 36/8569 AND White Evora S..
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Evan, can you give me a call pls, Brian is on Tasman committee and was putting the suggestion to them at the January committee meeting.

My mobile is 0412 975 932.

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: redelan64 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:59 am

Hi Vaughan et al.

I would be happy to co-ordinate from sunny Queensland for celebrations of all things Elan.

I have spoken to Marc last weekend and have also put a small article in the VIC/QLD magazine re 50th and the Goodwood celebration with Lotus as the marque for 2012. Book your tickets.

Craig
Elan 1964 S1 - since 1976
Lotus 18 FJ - sold
Elan +2 - sold
redelan64
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am

thanks Craig,

I caught up with Dr Pat (Mewing) in sydney recently and he seemd quite positive at the level of support that the Queensland contingent would provide. Drop me a PM withy our email and contact details as I'll be sending update email out soon.

I've sent a draft letter to the club with view getting responses from Elan owners for various options, including it seems that the Tasman organising committee may have agreed to use Elans this year to for the Drivers pre race parade, which may provide basis for Owners to come up with potentially a Wakefield Track day etc as an added incentive. Suffice to say I'm interested in seeing responses so we can commence planning an event that will be supported.

Now I've got to get my S1 and 26R completed...
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: redelan64 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:09 am

Hi All
Firstly I have spoken to Marc Shagen about 6 weeks ago - he indicated there is a plan by Vaughan Stibbard - 26R, and Brian Caldersmith to celebrate 50th at the Tasman Festival event in November at Eastern Creek.
He will post out invitations to all Elan owners in Oz.
I have confirmed a request from Vaughan, that I am happy to be contact in Queensland.

I certainly would like to take my S1 down maybe leaving it in Sydney until Easter for 2013 hosted by NSW CLA.

We (LCQ) are planning to celebrate at Macleans Bridge - Lakeside (Brisbane) on 3rd weekend in May as a start then something later closer to original October 10th launch date. This is a development of a 30 year old Mothers Day festival using attracting 350 - 400 classic/sports cars however last year they had around 1500 cars at the new venue - mini Goodwood here we come.

I actually have a letter from Lotus dated 1st of October launching the Elan to the Press at Ford's Showrooms in London with a respectful request to embargo press release until 10th before Earl's Court on 16th.
So you can take your pick on the official date - 1st, 10th or 16th October?
Check Macleans Bridge Lakeside web site for info if your interested in what is now to be a 2 day event.

So things are gaining momentum - I put a G up in the Feb newsletter to all Elan owners to get the boxes out and be there.
I am also contacting the Elan owners in Qld in person.

Craig
Elan 1964 S1 - since 1976
Lotus 18 FJ - sold
Elan +2 - sold
redelan64
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 am

Hi Craig, thanks for the updates on Qld activity, We're expecting confirmation either way of Tasman Drivers Parade role for Elans, in addition to the normal class events. We're working on a track day event in the week leading up to make it worth everyones while to travel, no decision on location this will be developed if there is interest, I do have an unusual location in mind that is occasionally opened to the public.

I'll checkout the Early Qld event, see if I can fit a weekend in to meet up.

I expect letter to all Owners out as soon as we have clear indication from Tasman committee, Marc is busy updating as many addresses as possible.
So to all you Aussie Elan owners of all types please send me PM or Marc an email at his Club lotus address or I an send it to you in reply PM if necessary with your current address so the Register can be updated and you will be kept in loop of developments for Oct.

I'm working on my 26R shell now to get it away to the painters by the end of the March, the chassis is done, drive train etc in and suspension all aligned....

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 am

Going to be hard for me to get interstate this year unfortunately, having a job gets in the way of my racing unfortunately :(

But I will celebrate 50 years every time I go into the garage :D

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 am

A request to all active Aussie Owners on the forum

the Tasman Revival Event have agreed to use Convertible Elans as the Drivers Parade cars at this year Tasman event in early November, if you're interested in advance opportunity to register to take part please drop me an email [email protected].a, more details will be sent out in the letter referred to below.

In readiness for mail out to all Elan owners regarding Elan 50th options, we are currently working on updating email and street address details. Im in process of contactnig all owners I knwop to get address updates whcih will be provided to Marc shagen who is the Club Lotus Elan Registrar and holds the master list.

I'm working hard to complete assembly of my the 26R and S1 so both can take part and have 6 owners already registered to take part.

Cheers V
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:14 am

count me in!

Gordon
(roof finally off, hoping for a weekend of sun after all the rain)
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Mine's a FHC, but happy to carry any aesthetically challenged driver :mrgreen: as I will be there as Deputy C of C anyway...
Evan J
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:04 am

anyone have any photos from the Melb Grand Prix? I understand there was to be a display of Elans and Sevens at Albert Park
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 am

Gordon
I was an official there, but I didn't see any such display. That said, officials didn't get any time to tour the displays as our muster tent is now away from everything else...
Evan J
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: