Lotus Elan

Wide Radiator fit

PostPost by: coolexperts » Mon May 28, 2012 9:18 am

Hello All,
We have been supplying the wide aluminium radiator for some years, predominately through eBay and now to LotusElan.net readers direct, with a members discount. most people feed back that the radiator fits like a glove, some say that they have to adjust the bolt hole in the side brackets and some say that they have to hack the side brackets about to make the radiator fit? When the radiator is manufactured in our workshops we faithfully recreate the Triumph herald full width radiator and the Lotus chamfering to the lower part of each bracket. I supplied Paul Tooms a radiator for his personal road going Elan and noticed when I delivered it to him that he had the narrow radiator with brackets fitted to his car. He also had the old series 1 Marston Radiator leaning against his garage wall, so I wonder now if his car is an early series 2, that we are informed use to have the series 1 radiator fitted. Paul commented that he had to hack the new radiator sides about to make it fit. My namesake Steve Parker Racing sent his ally radiator back to us saying that he could not close the bonnet. When we received it we noticed that he had taken 2" inches off the top of each bracket to make it fit. We solved the radiator cap problem by moving the filler neck onto an extension at the middle rear of the water tank, like the one used on the series 1 and early series 2 car. Steve told us that the front of the car had been totally wiped out and that he had fitted a 26R front body section.
I would be interest to hear from any member who might know why some fittings are trouble free and some need adjustment.

post165146.html#p165146

http://www.coolexperts.co.uk/motor-vehi ... -radiator/

http://www.coolexperts.co.uk/motor-vehi ... otus-elan/

Regards

Steve.
coolexperts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon May 28, 2012 11:14 am

All S1 and S2 cars used the Marston rads. There is plenty of documentation of the early S3 Coupes being produced with this rad as well.
Mike
elancoupe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:44 am

The variation in Lotus bodies is significant. Almost all items that are a tight dimensional fit like the radiator require some fettling to fit. I am sure Lotus did the same with the orginal construction. I just finshed fitting a TTR exhaust and that also required a significant amount of work to get it into the tight space it is supposed to fit in.

Try to see a range of bodies and set the dimensions to fit the range of tolerances you see.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: coolexperts » Mon May 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks for your information Rohan I will take that on board, however if as Mike says the Marston radiator was fitted up to the series 3 this could explain the difficulty in fitting.
The series one radiator is fitted on pins at the bottom of the radiator and has no side brackets.
We will have to start to produce some of our radiator in the same configuration. Thank you Mike for your information. I will get our Website corrected.

Steve.
coolexperts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: coolexperts » Tue May 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Everybody,
I have come across this information with reference to the Elan radiator. Mike was saying that the early Series 3 had the chunky Marston radiator fitted but this information says not? Was this a North America only fitting or do the Chassis number need bringing up to date. Any information would be helpful.

Radiator types
During production there were several radiators that were fitted to the Lotus Elan and Lotus Elan +2. The following list provides part numbers and models to receive these components.

026K0001 – fitted to Lotus Elan S1, S2, up to chassis number 5810 (bottom fastening)
A026K0001 – fitted to Lotus Elan S3, from chassis number 5811 to 7894 (full width, with side fastening)
A050K0001 – fitted to Lotus Elan S4, from chassis number 7895 onwards (narrow, with side mounting brackets)

A026K0001 – fitted to Lotus Elan +2, up to chassis number 0927 (full width, with side fastening)
A050K0001 – fitted to Lotus Elan +2s, from chassis number 0928 onwards (narrow, with side mounting brackets)

Regards

Steve.
coolexperts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm

This type of info should be used just as a general guideline. Many of us here can attest to the fact that Lotus often has printed erroneous data ( the actual number of cars built, for one). The record keeping by them was sketchy at best.

Lotus seemingly changed or updated parts to the cars as supplies ran out or production changes were affected. When Lotus says that these changes occurred, and when they actually happened can be two completely different things.

Without getting into boring details, some S2 and S3 cars were being built at about the same time, and the Marston rad definitely was put in some early S3 Coupes, this is fact. I have photos of road test cars form the period, and there are owners here who can say the same.
Mike
elancoupe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: coolexperts » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Hello All,

Vernon, I have not forgotten you. We have made good progress on the item that I must not talk about and I will contact you shortly. I have been able to gain good manufacturing information from the replies I have received from some watchers and this will be used to everybody's benefit. Sadly if I knew what I was doing I would have place the enquiry on a broader enquiry base than the +2 threads.

Regards

Steve.
coolexperts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Kerryt333 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Steve,
I am definately interested in hearing any news on the radiators,& have been looking every day since your last posting.
Regards
John
Kerryt333
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: coolexperts » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Kerry,

elan-plus-f13/alternative-radiators-again-t24745-30.html

If you go on to this thread you will find the latest progress.

Regards

Steve.
coolexperts
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: