S2 photos and history. What parts are missing?

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:52 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I'm afraid it's not! The 2 seat Elans only had 4 instuments.... Mark

Sorry Lotex, I concur with Mark......I do not think your dash layout is original.....26/3944 has only four gauges speedo/Rev counter/fuel gauge/temp-oil gauge. I have pics somewhere, but I cant get to it to take more as its at the customs who are giving me a hard time :( as its stuck in the system as I'm repatrating it back to the land of its birth.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks guys, that's great. Now I know exactly what I'm looking for.

I guess this will mean I need a new dash. Who makes the best/most accurate reproductions? I've seel a lot of different finishes on Elan dasboards but what were they like coming out of the factory back in the sixties? Is the current dash I have a good representation?

Here are some more photos including one of a curious switch mounted directly underneath the steering column. Any ideas?
Attachments
instruments4.jpg and
instruments5.jpg and
instruments6.jpg and
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:58 pm

FritzPasadena wrote:Here are some more photos including one of a curious switch mounted directly underneath the steering column. Any ideas?

This is the seldom seen switch for making the glove box appear from the fascia - the cut lines are very cleverly hidden :D :D
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:02 pm

FritzPasadena wrote:Here are some more photos including one of a curious switch mounted directly underneath the steering column. Any ideas?

Have you tried switching it to see what happens? :)
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:05 pm

frearther wrote:

This is the seldom seen switch for making the glove box appear from the fascia - the cut lines are very cleverly hidden :D :D

Naa...I dont think so, that looks like the ejector seat switch .......only found on the very rare 26R Bahama model : :lol: :lol:
Last edited by types26/36 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:08 pm

paddy wrote:

:lol: unfortunately the battery is all disconnected and missing various leads. I worked out how the manual headlight release switches work today but that's about my limit! :roll:
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:25 pm

I think that particular switch makes the girl go down -[oops sorry that should read grill ]---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:11 am

Fritz:

Assuming from the handle you are in Cali. Once you get advise on the dash configuration you want to go with, can highly recommend Randy Keller to make you one up. Contact info below; he does not have a web site. Best way to contact initially is by phone, with pic's by email as required.

Has been making dashes for 20+ years for various Loti and other British marques. The one he did for for my Plus 2 is really great, and available in North America probably a bit easier for you. Best deal for me was my wife made it a fifth anniversary gift; I was not aware that the fifth anniversary is officially to be a wood gift!

Randy has templates for the various common dash configurations. In your case you may want to provide him with your original or a bit of a sketch to get exactly what you want. He uses a wide variety of fully booked veneers; sure he can give you the "correct" finish once you know what it is you would like. No sweat for with and without radio cutout, etc., just need to let him know what you want.

Not necessarily the cheapest, but absolutely no compromise on quality and fit. Can take a while; got the impression it is a pretty small shop.

Prestige Autowood
1828 Stone Ave
San Jose , CA 95125

(408)288-8737

randallskeller "at" yahoo.com

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks for that Stu - unfortunately I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, Fritz Pasadena is just a silly nickname.
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 am

Here's a selection of random dash photos I found on the web. As you can see, there's a wide variety of finishes, some quite plain whilst others are highly polished. Which is the best representation of how an original sixties Elan would have looked?

Also, are all these the same time of wood but with differing levels of veneer applied (I would guess not)?
Attachments
wood1.jpg and
wood2.jpg and
wood3.jpg and
wood4.jpg and
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Fritz

I think you missed this one too...

elan-f14/and-dash-trim-question-t18371.html

S2 dash out of 26/4997, this finish is original except below the glovebox lid and the lower inch along the bottom edge to the left of the steering column cutout. There are two extra holes on the far left for switches that were installed by one of the previous owners.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Leo Leentvaar » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:04 pm

FritzPasadena wrote:
paddy wrote:

:lol: unfortunately the battery is all disconnected and missing various leads. I worked out how the manual headlight release switches work today but that's about my limit! :roll:

My best guess for the switch underneath the steering column would be to over-ride the cooling fan and keep it switched on regardless what the thermostat says. I have a similar switch hidden underneath the dash for that purpose. But... without following the cables it is as best a guess as anyone's :lol:
1971 Sprint DHC
Leo Leentvaar
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: posulliv » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm

My fascia panel, a replacement by Randy at Prestige Autowood, but it matches the original. The courtesy light is a replacement, but everything else in the panel is original.

posulliv
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:35 pm

posulliv,

Excellent photo. Shows great detail, on a single shot.

Is this an S2?

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Posulliv's picture shows a facia identical to my old 65 S2.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: