No oil pressure

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi All,
Decided today to prepare my engine for starting after a long lay-up so I changed the oil and filter (filled the can with oil before fitting) filled the oil galleries by injecting through the oil pressure gauge connection and primed the pump by removing the face plate and squirting oil into the gears. Removed the plugs and turned the engine over on the starter a few times expecting to see the oil pressure build up after a couple of turns of the key but nothing.....the pressure gauge needle didn't move off the stop. Obviously I don't want to attempt to start it until I can be sure it's getting oil.

The battery is new and it cranks at about 250 rpm with the plugs out. The oil pressure gauge has been rebuilt and refurbished and not used since so it may be suspect but I would have thought that is unlikely. Unfortunately I don't have a spare gauge to try.

The engine was rebuilt immediately prior to lay-up but the oil pump is the original (56,000ml) - oil pressure was OK after the rebuild. It has been stored filled with clean oil and turned over by hand periodically.

I read somewhere - may have been on here - that you can prime the pump with petroleum jelly (ooer misses) anyone tried that?

Any other ideas before I pull the pump off ?

Many thanks.
Best regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:13 pm

I have used Vaseline on my engine rebuilds always got oil pressure on cranking before I would let them run.
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:21 pm

That's happened to me in the past.

Taking off the feed pipe at the gauge, to "bleed" it, was all it needed.

Good Luck - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm

Roger,

I have had similar happen after the winter lay up. Changed the oil and filter, filled filter, and turned over with the plugs out, for prob 3 10 second bursts. No pressure on the gauge. Deceided to just replace the plugs and start her up, as there had been no issues before. Hey presto, after a few seconds running, up comes the pressure. I think it just takes a short while for the oil to get up the pipe, nothing more than that.

So long as you are happy that there were no problems before lay up, nothing could have altered.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:22 pm

512BB wrote:So long as you are happy that there were no problems before lay up, nothing could have altered.

Yes, I'd be suspecting the gauge more than the engine.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks guys I'll have another go tomorrow and try bleeding the gauge line.

One positive outcome of this exercise is that I've discovered (after 36years of ownership) that my car has type C (S/E) cams fitted. Only realised after reading Brian Buckland's book which shows the markings on the sprocket boss. :D

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Roger,

Not that it is needed but if you go to the Elan Factory website and look a little you will find a nice oil prime tank. I have built one up and used it several time on my rebuilds. You connect the tank to the oil presure line with a tee fitting and us the air to push oil thru the system. You limit the air to about 60 lbs and continue with flow until your oil gauge comes up to presure. Only trick is to start with the system level about a quart low so you don't overfill with presure tank.

I don't think you are in need of this, as from what you have said I would put plugs in and give it a go. Presure should come up quickly when running.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:58 am

You do not need to bleed a pressure gauge any air in the pipe will compress to pump pressure
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:14 am

You do not need to bleed a pressure gauge any air in the pipe will compress to pump pressure
Neil

Neil,
Quite so....unless the gauge is in a brake system.
What I meant was take the pipe off the gauge and see if I have oil flow from it. That should tell me if my newly refurbished gauge is u/s or the pump is not primed in which case I will try your Vaseline trick.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Every now and then a rebuilt Twin Cam will appear to have no oil pressure despite prolonged cranking on the starter with the plugs out.Simply do what 512BB suggested,install the plugs and light it off. It will take a few seconds possibly but you will have oil pressure. It will seem like forever with your sweaty fingers lingering on the ignition key but the pressure will pop up quickly and no harm done if you used a pre lube on the bearings.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: