New Member Question

PostPost by: kerryblu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi to all, just joined the club. Would like your thoughts on what road to take, whether to wait and hope to find an elan for restoration or buy chassis, body, engine etc. separately. Here in Ireland lotus elans are practically impossible to find. Thanks, Gerald
kerryblu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi Gerald.

The first consideration is that the car will need an identity, so buying a car, even if it is incomplete, is pretty much essential. Building up a car from parts would be a very expensive way to go, and finding some parts, like instruments, door frames, seats and many of the smaller bits and pieces would be nigh on impossible. If it doesn't have an identity, you won't be able to get it registered.

The model you decide on is pretty important, as finding parts for a Plus 2 is very easy on the UK eBay, whereas parts for the two-seater cars is a lot more difficult. The older the two-seater, the more difficult becomes the task of finding parts.

Whatever you restore it is going to cost a fair bit. If you get the body professionally re-painted and do most of the mechanical / wiring / trimming work yourself, it?s still going to be the best part of ?15k, and could be a lot more. If the car is a proper, original Elan, it will be worthwhile doing?you won?t make a profit, but you?ll get most of your money back if you wanted to sell. If the car you build is a bitsa without a proper ID, and built from different parts from different eras, then the finished car isn?t going to be worth much.

If I was in Ireland looking for a project, then I would definitely look at Pistonheads or eBay for a car in the UK. A cheap flight over to have a look and then get it shipped home would be very easy to sort out. There are a few guys on Elan.net in Ireland who could give you some guidance I?m sure.

Here?s a perfect candidate for you!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MEBIDX:IT

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Looks to be an SE, too, although hard to tell.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kerryblu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks for the info Mark, this project i'd like to do purely for my own enjoyment, i'm not worried about making a profit. I agree it cant be a bitsa so its either an S2,S3or S4.
kerryblu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi Gerald

Welcome to LotusElan.net, You've already made the most important (and correct) decision - to buy an Elan. I bought mine for a project, and even though I got it for a fair price it was in pretty good order with not much that needed doing. I soon remedied that by blowing up the engine on the first day! Now, I've got so many things occupying my mind that I can't think about anything else. Buy the best you can afford, even if you're buying a non-runner that needs a full respray. Make sure it's a proper DHC if it has no roof (or a proper FHC if it has but that's unlikely). That's your biggest decision after whether to get an Elan or a Plus Two, whether you want a roof or not. Then I suppose you could decide on a Series. I originally wanted an S3 but there are far more S4s out there, and I think bits specific to the S4 are easier to get hold of than the S1, 2 or 3.

Good luck with your search, this is the best one model car forum out there with some really knowledgeable and friendly people and I've been on a few!

Steve
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Probably not an SE. Se's would have had a leather wheel, stainless side trip, remote mirror and oher bits. But sure is a nicefind. I wish it was ocated closer to home.

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat May 01, 2010 8:43 pm

kerryblu wrote:Here in Ireland lotus elans are practically impossible to find. Thanks, Gerald

Bought mine in the UK two years ago and drove it home to Galway. Welcome to the forum! If you're going to own an Elan, you'll be using the forum a lot!!! :wink: :D
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Sun May 02, 2010 3:51 am

If you have the money it is really cheaper to buy one already restored as many have found they have $40k in an elan that sells for $26. Just thought it might be a good idea to mention that.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 am

Er, where can I get an Elan for $26? Although I'm a bit short on space I might even buy a couple as the price seems so reasonable. :mrgreen:
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sun May 02, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Gerald and welcome aboard..

I had the same question as yourself a few years ago, so I brought a plus 2 with brand new MOT for "only" a few grand. The idea was to upgrade/modify along the way. A good route to take in my opinion as I was still useing her as i saved up for the next bit.

The bits ive got as improvements are..

Spyder chassis.
Fuel injection, Emerald 3D.
New fuel tank from Andy Wiltshire.
Rebuild 5speed gear box.
3.54 diff unit.
1600cc 711m block,unused as yet, but will be the base of a long stroke 84mm bore block.

Its an enjoyable motor with a bit of performance for a 40 year old car.
Happy hunting and have fun.

Paul.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 65 Lotus » Sun May 02, 2010 10:32 pm

wojeepster wrote:If you have the money it is really cheaper to buy one already restored as many have found they have $40k in an elan that sells for $26. Just thought it might be a good idea to mention that.

+1
Scott In Ohio
26/3795
65 Lotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: